1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Golok?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by OMRie, Apr 2, 2007.

1. OMRie

OMRie

Nov 2, 1999
    I'm surprised that Busse Combat has never put out a machete type blade. (Or have they) Busse seems to be exclusively chopping oriented. I was taking a fig tree out of the yard a couple weeks ago and brought out the battle mistress and while it cut and chopped like a champ I found myself needing more reach and ended up using my latin machete (having to touch up the blade a couple times) on the lower stuff like the roots. (I didn't feel like squatting). I could have pulled out the AK but its feel is not what I'm accustomed to for that type work, for one the handle is long and the balance is not blade heavy enough. I've been wanting a Bark River Golok but even an 11 inch blade seems a little short and finding a Northwind is even more impossible. I put an order in for a Valiant Golok with 18 inch blade and while they say it's a workhorse the partial tang makes me a little nervous. So anyway, now that other exotic pieces like the AK and War Boar are out of the way any chance of a 15 to 20 recurve golok style blade in the nuclear future?:)

2. barrabas74

barrabas74

Jul 27, 2005
    That is def a blade style I can get behind and in that lenght range too. I know they have made Golok style blades but I am not sure if they were in the length or the balance you were thinking of.

3. Last Visible Canary

Last Visible Canary actively parsing hurf durf

Nov 28, 2006
    infi is expensive steel :) 20" blade = (roughly) 2,000$+ as a custom. I'd love to see a machete style blade at 1/8" high saber or full flat, but I'm not sure how that blade geometry would effect its strength in the hands of wanton guerilla's :D

4. mike biz

mike biz

Oct 24, 2005
    I have a Valiant Survival Golok L and it is a nice piece. I also have a Golok Kelapa. Old Jimbo has a good review of it and some other Valiant blades and:
    http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/valiant1.html

One thing I don't like about the Valiant blades is the horn handles. I realize they give a nice traditional look, but they aren't very tactile. Horn becomes VERY slippery when wet. They are not grippy in the least, so I always worry about flinging it into the brush or worse yet in someone's direction when I swing it. I guess you could wrap the handles in 550 paracord or something similar, but I haven't done that.

Both were pretty sharp when I got them. I've had them for a few years, and need to put a new edge on them. Overall I was impressed with the quality, but I haven't beat on them to hard. Considering they are about 1/6 the price of an FBM, adding one to the arsenal won't break the bank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Check out the GBU for some problems with orders from Valiant.

6. OMRie

OMRie

Nov 2, 1999
    I ordered one already with the ebay valiant store, the one in the top pic above. I read that thread and a few others. I have been waiting for a golok from busse for years. The valiant i had been reluctant to get because of the partial tang. from the pics i don't see any sort of pin holding it in so if it's just glue and friction holding a partial rat tail into a horn handle i'll be swinging it pretty timidly at first. The desing has stood the test of time, anyway. Hopefully its hardened as well as HI khuks, too. As far as the slippery feel of horn, i'll rub the horn with steel wool and dull it out a bit and likely wrap it with tennis racket grip wrap. Thanks guys.

7. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    The problem with a long, thin machete-type blade from Busse is the Busse reputation. There would surely be more than a few people who would try to pry with it, or deliberately abuse it. Then there would be gleeful posts elsewhere about Busses not living up to their reputation, not being so good, etc. Let's face it - superior performance is expected from a Busse, and some people would inevitably go too far. There would be more broken blades with a thin Busse machete than with anything else, simply because the Busse reputation (well-deserved) and the guarantee can create a sense of no restraint.

All that being said, I would love to have one.

8. Cutshaw

Cutshaw Moderator Moderator

Aug 15, 2004
    I lusted after a BRK Golok for a long time but kept spending my money on other things. I did finally get one. If you are looking for something more robust than a machete but allowing for that type of use, then it's a great deal. Though I've only got a few, I'm a fan of Barkies too. (Laser sharp little knives!) It is not, however, what I would consider a chopper. I'm not sure what I was expecting but there just isn't enough weight to really bite into stuff. Machete duty? Works well. I guess I was imaging more khukuri-type performance.

I've got a Northwind too but you've got to be REALLY careful with it or you'll lose part of a leg from that devil!

In a non-Busse vein, a chopper I was really surprised with, that is HIGHLY effective? Look at the big Dave Wesner choppers.

Without having held one, I would imagine that a ruck would fill the bill with what I would generally like in a golok. Round the tip and place a little more forward weight? Awesome!

-S

9. dante

dante Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2004
    I agree with you and at the same time I truly hope that this doesn't limit the type of blades coming because of this. An SR-101, SR77 or INFI machete/tool will much apreciated.

10. OMRie

OMRie

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, superior performance is not just prying. I don't have one, but I doubt the Busse filet knife is thick enough to pry with because the performance as a filet knife would then not be there. Optimal performance is relative to the task a knife is designed to do. If Busse made a pry bar it would not perform well at gutting a salmon.

BTW I got my Valiant today. Very nice. Good lenth. I can't wait to see what it can do. But it's still not a Busse. PEACE

11. dante

dante Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2004
    The problem is what MikeH said, there is going to be one (or several) characters with a headline similar to this "Hey I tried to chop an SUV in half with the new Busse machete and it broke at the tip and chipped some of the edge" or "I tried to pry open a vault door with a 1/8" blade and it bent/broke" ... at some point a disclaimer has to be made on specific tools and the intended use for them.

So, when is the folder coming out then?

12. Nautique

Nautique

May 15, 2016
    10 years, is there a Busse golok?
    I need one.

13. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Hognose War sword is close-ish...

But, I'm unsettled on how well suited INFI or sr101 would be for DECICATED machete duty.

Not saying it couldn't be done...NOT BY A LONG SHOT...:cool:

But every machete I've swung is ground quite thin, is mild steel, and has a good deal of flex...

So along that line, it begs 2 questions for me:

1. Would INFI's HT protocol have to be adjusted for such a machete?

2. If so, would it still technically be INFI?

14. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I would love to see an Infi Latin Machete with a 16" blade. My 1/8" Gi Ontario machete chops hard wood surprisingly well and I don't feel any bend during use.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 6:26 PM
  15. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    "So when is the folder coming out then?"

Lmao my guess after reading this 10 year old thread would be in about two weeks! ;)o_O

16. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Damn, I think I remember 2007 and it wasn't a good year.

17. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2003
    2007 was a good year.... my first Blade show and meeting the Busse families.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

18. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    A long golok style blade with a fusion handle would be the jublies!