Good multi, other than Leatherman

I emailed Leatherman about this and received the following reply:

Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. purchased LED Lenser flashlights last year. As part of this purchase we acquired the factory that the lights are produced in. The only thing produced in this factory is LED Lenser lights and headlamps. NO Leatherman products are produced there. The companies are completely separate. The only Leatherman manufacturing facility is still (and always will be per Tim Leatherman) based in Portland, OR.

The entire factory has always run two shifts save the assembly area. In order to bring the assembly area in line with the output of the rest of the factory, we decided to split that are into two shifts as well. We gave the folks there approximately a four-month notice that this would happen. On the day that it actually did, about 10 people who were quitting their jobs of their own volition anyway, instigated a protest with the rest of the assembly workers. The protest lasted a half a day and the next day everyone came back to work on their own.

There has been no issues raised from the workers since and the two-shift implementation. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Thanks!

Juli Warner
Marketing Communications Manager
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
Leatherman / LED Lenser
503-253-7826

Good to know, thanks.

I saw a Schrade Tough Grip multi tool in FineHomebuilding that has a vice grip, a philips and two flat head drivers, a saw, a knife blade, wire stripper, and a bottle opener, all at around $20 and made in the USA. BUT they are no longer produced as I have learned, which is a real let down.

Gerber MP400, MP600, SOG Pocket Power Plier, Paratool, and Powerlock are tools that come to mind at the moment. :)

Bear Jaws 155 and 156 are good tools also. Although I would reommend finding the older tools as the new locks are kinda funky.

Victorinox. SOG. And Gerber, though their design and execution is a distant second to Victorinox. They still get the job done, though, and have their own quirky flavor. There are plenty of alternatives to Leatherman.

SOG's the only way to go ~~ you won't even find a Leatherman in my Tackle Box let alone on me or in my Tool box.* Friend of mine had a bad experience with with there CS people.

SOG's the only way to go ~~ you won't even find a Leatherman in my Tackle Box let alone on me or in my Tool box.* Friend of mine had a bad experience with with there CS people.

SOG is good, but Leatherman tools work better for me. Your friend's bad CS experience is rare. Usually, Leatherman warranty service is outstanding, acknowledged even among those who are not especially fond of their products. Personally, on the few occasions I have to use it (all due to my own abuse, BTW), I have been very impressed. It is one of the best out there.

I recently bought a Victorinox Swisstool RS; this tool replaces the file w/ scissors. The Swisstool is built like a tank, and the fit & finish are impeccable. All the locking tools are accessible from the handle w/o needing to open the pliers. The only downside for me is that the pliers are not true needle nose type, but a little wider and blunter.

SOG Powerlocks are excellent. I carry one in my Maxpedition bag and one in my truck. They are heavy but IMO are the best out there for pure usefulness.

So if Leatherman is anti gun why do they make tools specifically for firearms?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leatherman+anti+gun

You can find arguments for and against that charge. Also, they endorsed anti-gun (etc.) John Kerry for Pres. I'm not being political - just trying to address the question and there are other reasons to consider buying some other brand multi-tool as well.

---

Beckerhead #42

Looking through a number of posts in those sites, I find a complete absence of any evidence Leatherman has been any way associated with anti-gun sentiments. Everyone who said so has heard thus and such, or assumes it is a settled matter, but not one offers a single bit of documentation.

Although I can respect a really partisan Republican could have a boycott-worthy hate on Leatherman for supporting a Democratic candidate during the 2004 election, that is far from making him out to be a foe of the Second Amendment, and certainly not enough for me to take up my torch and pitchfork.

Lots of Democrats are pro gun. Our former Democrat governor got an A and an endorsement from the NRA for his record when he was in Congress, while our current gov, a conservative Republican who had also previously served as a congressman, got an F.

People should do what they think is right, but that should be based on reason, not rumor.

My favorite plier is the sog pocket power plier but the tools/blades in it are very poor. Also sog has very poor cs and I don't want to support them but.

The tools in the Vic Spirit tool are the best imo. Plier is pretty good but still not as nice as the sog.

My dream tool: Sog pocket power plier with Vic Spirit tools & blades...that multi-tool would be perfect!

Looks like Impulse was a post 'n run guy. 1 post, for this question, then he disappeared.

I wonder what he got?

Looks like Impulse was a post 'n run guy. 1 post, for this question, then he disappeared.

I wonder what he got?

I think maybe what he got was a smear on Leatherman. There are some people who are running a politically motivated boycott against the company. OP was likely one of them, or just acting on "Impulse."

Back