1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Grayman Dua folder!!!! Wow

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Striderco, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Striderco

Striderco

Jun 17, 2010
    Im the proud new owner of a Grayman Dua Folder!! Im not sure if you can get a better built folder for the money!? This thing reminds me of my XM! Its got that tough as nails feel to it! The fit and finish is excellent! I must say I first looked at their "working" edge and thought hmmmm? But after tearing into a cardboard box, man was I impressed! The size is perfect for everyday carry! I got the matte black DLC coated version, but just ordered the beadblast one! If you havent already check out their site and grab yourself a Dua! You will not be disappointed! Some specs for ya: Blade is 3inches of CPM-S30V! 7.5" overall length! Handle is made of titanium! Just to let you know I am in no way affiliated with Grayman! Just really impressed with what I got in the mail today and thought Id pass this along to my friends here on BF! Get one! Im tellin you these things are gonna be in the big leagues! Their website has more info and more pics. My camera is old and may not be the best quality. Cheers Grayman!!!!

Attached Files:

2. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Would love to see a close up of the edge. That does look interesting.

3. Striderco

Striderco

Jun 17, 2010
    Ok, stand by!

4. Striderco

Striderco

Jun 17, 2010
    Like I said my cam is not the best! Maybe I should have bought a new cam instead of another Dua?! Nah!! DSCN1726.jpg DSCN1728.jpg DSCN1730.jpg DSCN1731.jpg DSCN1732.jpg

5. retzius

retzius

Sep 17, 2009
    WTF. Did they sharpen that thing with a rat tail file and strop it on some old concrete? :0
    That is the ugliest edge I have ever seen!

6. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Cool, I remember you mentioning a few weeks ago that you were considering picking up a Grayman. Glad you ended up being able to snag one and are happy with the purchase.

I know you included the specs in the original post, but any chance you could post a few comparison shots of it next to other knives to give an idea of the size, thickness, etc.? In-hand pics would also be welcome. :)

7. Striderco

Striderco

Jun 17, 2010
    Retz that was my first thought! I thought i was going to have to send it out to get reground! But im telling you it cuts amazingly well!! Neuron I will shoot some tom am and post them! I am beat and gonna catch some Z's!!!!!

8. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    No rush, buddy!

9. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    Interesting. Thanks for the edge close ups. I wonder what sharpening will do to it. I imagine it'll just end up being a "smooth" edge after a few sharpenings, unless you plan to take a stone to it and chip away at it as if making a flint knife. Could be interesting. I'd ask Grayman how he sharpened that edge.

BTW, he names his knives in Indonesian. Satu means one. Dua means two.

10. Tostig

Tostig

Jun 16, 2009
    Simple and plain looking knife with no real flow to it at all.

I love it ! :) Care to comment on how sturdy she is ? I mean I can just tell it is by seeing your pics but I like to hear it from the source. also blade thickness approx ? Thin or thick tip ? Obtuse edge for longevity or thin edge for real slicing ?

Congrats on your new knife and thanks for sharing , I would not mind one of those at all :) :) edit - His prices are pretty fair to boot ! :) second edit - I notice on his site the blades do not look overly thick to hinder slicing , huh ?

Tostig

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    that edge is certainly, um, toothy. Looks sturdy though!

12. Tostig

Tostig

Jun 16, 2009
    Well to be fair regarding the edge , on his site he plainly states that is how the edge is when the knife ships. I'm assuming it is because his knives are geared towards soldiers , a knife with an edge like that would cut cut cut cut... soldiers and the like are not concerned with seeing their reflection in the edge :)

Tostig

13. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    I guess we can call that edge mini-serrated, halfway between full plain and full serrated.

14. Gunsnknives

Gunsnknives

Mar 26, 2011
    Interesting edge. It's a plain edge and serrated at the same time!

Striderco, I'm glad you are happy with the purchase and it seems the cutting performance is more than satisfactory. I just wonder how to "resharpen" that edge. Maybe go out to the curb and strop it there? I'm only half joking about that since that edge looks rougher than even a course file would produce ...

15. dark impaler

dark impaler Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Thanks for the pix, you've definitely piqued by interest in the Dua. Looked at the Satu before, but just couldn't get past the recurve blade. This one seems more to my liking.

16. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    What is his relationship with Indonesia?

17. killteamTRS

killteamTRS

Nov 30, 2007
    Grayman knives are always finished with a "working edge" its not supposed to be all polished up and flawless, theyre meant to be used, and hell im picking one of these up for myself soon enough

18. HATORI HANZO

HATORI HANZO

Sep 17, 2011
    Nice new toy enjoy it ;D

19. Reeek

Reeek

Aug 16, 2008
    Toothy! :D

20. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    That's interesting logic. You do realize you can use a knife with a polished/flawless edge? Some people even believe that kind of edge cuts quite well and holds up to use even better than an edge consisting of "macro-teeth/mini serrations"