1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Greatest Knife For the Price

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Confederate, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Confederate

Confederate

Sep 5, 2005
    I really think the verdict is in. After carrying and using the Cold Steel 2011 Voyager, I think there's no better knife for the money. It took a while -- and it did take a while -- but the size, weight, and blade of the Voyager makes it "a" if not "the" winner in my view. For those who haven't tried one, they're great. The grip fits most hands without a problem.

But hey, that's my view! The blade's easy to sharpen, even the Vaquero. I'd prefer the VG-1 blade steel, but you can't have everything!

What's your choice??

(I also have a Benchmade with a ATS-134/CM154 blade. It's light weight, built well, but has a partially serrated blade. In fact, most of their knives I've seen for sale at eBay shows them with partial serrations. Why would such a great knife maker force that on so many people?)

2. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    I agree. For the money, there isn't a better knife on the market.

3. Flectric

Flectric Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2012
    The Benchmade HK nitrous Blitz, sub $100 get you 154cm blade, nitrous titanium scales ( assisted ) , G10 scales, great design easy carry edc. Dollar for dollar this is the best.

4. nccole

nccole Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Spyderco Native S30V for around $55. Fits hand really nicely, better steel, and spydie hole. The only downfall is the back lock in my opinion, but it is not too bad. Bonus: not mall ninja looking. Sorry for the jab, but I just do not get the "tactical" fad.

5. Daddyo16

Daddyo16

Jan 12, 2012
    Just curious as to how you know this.

6. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Had a Gunsite, didn't like the handle material CS uses. I have smaller (shorter?) hands than some, and I find many of Cold Steel's products hard to deploy and stow because of their size and the way the handle material just doesn't feel very grippy.

My opinion is the BM Mini-Grip, at least until I get my Ritter.

7. nccole

nccole Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Reading online reviews and noting that most people love the way it feels in hand would not be a bad way to make a general statement like that. I know with the Native most complaints of the knife not fitting well are from guys that have really large hands, otherwise people love the way it feels in hand.

8. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    The Sodbuster feels best in my hand.
    AGR Cowboy, to be precise.

9. gentry738

gentry738

Sep 26, 2010
    sanrenmu 710

10. kurec

kurec

May 25, 2012
    Buck 110 with CPM 154 when it was $35 on Buck Web Special

11. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    My Mora #1.

Usually, it isn't the knife that matters, but what you do with it.

12. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    Buck Vantage Select

[​IMG]

The best value,one handed operating,USA made,forever warranty knife available today.JMHO/YMMV:thumbup:

13. akula83

akula83

Aug 19, 2008
    < $50.00- CS Voyagers, > $50.00-BM 556. So I'm right there with you guys.

14. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    There are many contenders, and what constitutes "best" is highly subjective, but my vote might be the Ontario Rat-1. AUS-8, FFG, open pillar construction, built tough, sized (in my view) to fit most hands, 4-way clip, flicks open like butter and shipped to your mailbox for $30 or less.

[​IMG]

15. ericvar101

ericvar101

Feb 24, 2012
    my vote is for the Spyderco Native, S30V and Spyderco Quaility for around $55.00,...hard to beat that.

16. Daddyo16

Daddyo16

Jan 12, 2012
    "Greatest" is about as subjective a term as there is, since it's based solely on opinion.

In my limited experience, and in my opinion, the best knife I have for the money would be the Kershaw Crown, simply because I picked it up brand spankin' new for a paltry $5. It's worth at least double the normal price of $15.

17. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    A lot a knives have to be handled and used to be able to honestly say 1 is the best. Otherwise the conclusion is based on the knives a person has handled and their personal bias and preferences.

18. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive

Jun 13, 2012
    The picture you posted, is that the green handle? Cant really tell on my comp (it looks gray). Looking into picking up a Rat-1, and deciding between all of my options. Love the look of the one you have.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  19. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Sadly, I am so colorblind that I cannot tell, and gray<--->green is among the worst distinctions for me. To my eyeballs, it looks a little more olive drabby in person than it appears in the pic. :)

20. Stephen1337

Stephen1337

Nov 5, 2011
    Spyderco Native, pretty simple design with FRN handle and lockback but it is a AMAZING knife and it uses S30v for the steel and its made in the USA (unlike other cheaper spyderco's).

[​IMG]