Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

It arrived today and was waiting for me on the door-mat after work!:)

Can't put up pix as it's too dark here now, but tomorrow maybe as it's a day off (Independence Day)

Very excited by this one as my previous Wright knives were more than duds, they were amazingly bad....:barf:

I chose the smaller Swayback or Pruner version at 8.5 cm/ 3 3/8" closed with Horn scales. I began to brood about this after ordering as Horn can be troublesome: warping, moving away from liners & pins etc.

THE CONS

Very slight gaps, but only visible with strong light. A gap in liner/spring on one side, but again not in any way severe. Not so sharp, but bevels correct.

THE PROS.

Blade centre, wonderful Horn scales (mark side glossy black, pile, with beautiful feathering like an ultrasound) Opens with ease, no half-stop and hard to close. This is similar to many French knives and just the way I like it. :cool: Bright clear tang stamp (some have looked blurry here) Excellent radiusing of handles/liners, very smooth feel. Pins are first class, no burrs, sunk pins or cracking around the pins which you can encounter on Horn knives. Bright shiny blade and brass liners which indicate a very new knife batch. No blade play at all, flush joint on open and closed (these are my particular quality benchmarks). Blade opens out nice and straight with the spring, no drooping or 'cant'. A kind personal note came with the knife as well, pleasant touch.

I know enough about knives to say that this is a quality Traditional that really pleases, I will be carrying this one a lot and that's high praise in my book. I'm so glad it turned out this way as I have to confess I'd been fearing poor quality given my previous experience (they were the bigger pattern though) Fact is, this knife suits me down-to-the-ground and I can't ask for more!

Regards,

Will

Sounds like a peach Will, really pleased for you :) That's a great report :) Can't wait to see the pics :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'll try Jack but have to say it's so nice that current lighting is unlikely to do it justice.

Super compact knife, yet with broad handle, this is important.

Don't feel a need to rush Will, you enjoy it my friend :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Here's a shot to two, it's sunny today and a day off work :thumbup: But it'll be dark by 2.45...:eek: This is a really good example but these pix don't show it as they should, sorry. Nice fathering effect on the 'pile' side, the knife has a grey/blue hue to it.

IMG_4269.jpg

'Mark' side has very glossy black horn slab, the scales are really well radiused giving a smooth feel in the hand, and the slabs are thick enough to give a generous comfortable grip, important on a compact knife. I like the stovepipe style kick on these.

IMG_4266.jpg

I also received a very polite e-mail from the seller in response to my positive feedback, this doesn't always happen with sellers, makes a real difference :)

Regards, Will

Last edited:
Here's a shot to two, it's sunny today and a day off work :thumbup: But it'll be dark by 2.45...:eek: This is a really good example but these pix don't show it as they should, sorry. Nice fathering effect on the 'pile' side, the knife has a grey/blue hue to it.

IMG_4269.jpg

'Mark' side has very glossy black horn slab, the scales are really well radiused giving a smooth feel in the hand, and the slabs are thick enough to give a generous comfortable grip, important on a compact knife. I like the stovepipe style kick on these.

IMG_4266.jpg

I also received a very polite e-mail from the seller in response to my positive feedback, this doesn't always happen with sellers, makes a real difference :)

Regards, Will

Very nice, Will. The coloring and finish look incredible.

I know what you mean about being dark early - sunset today is at 4:13.

Really nice Will, thanks for the pics :thumbup: I hope you got some sunshine :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very nice examples fellows, and the knife from Jack seems to be lit from within. Beautiful horn.

Thanks for the kind words on my Oxhorn A.Wright gents :thumbsup:

Last edited:
As per Brother Greg's suggestion:

Fellow Guardians, we are all fans of the Lambsfoot. What do you think of giving it an official day of appreciation? I propose that we make the 14th of each month Love for the Lambsfoot Day. Similar to Wooden Wednesday and Stag Saturday, you're encouraged to carry a Lambsfoot on that day and share your love for the Lambsfoot with others, whether here on the porch or in person. Anyone game?

I'm looking forward to the second Love for the Lambsfoot Day this week ;) :thumbsup:

AW SB Lambsfoot 10-6.JPG

Last edited:
I was on the A. Wright site, thinking about pulling the trigger on one of the stag versions of this knife. Can one of you tell me, I think it is supposed to be carbon steel, but what about the spring? will it patina?

Yes, the spring will patina over time W.M.B, though a small number are made in stainless :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Is it the luck of the draw, or is there some way to differentiate between the stainless and the carbon before I buy it? It is the carbon Im after.

Is it the luck of the draw, or is there some way to differentiate between the stainless and the carbon before I buy it? It is the carbon Im after.

They're carbon as standard, but one of the larger UK dealers stocks them in stainless, which I think are a special order. All mine have been carbon :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Seeing some of the great A. Wright Lambsfoot examples posted recently has almost tempted me to buy one sight unseen, but I still think I'll hang on so I can enjoy the added cachet of selecting one 'from the source', in the new year.

The barehead ebony models are quite appealing to me, but those beautiful horn covered Lambsfoots in the last few pages also seem quite fitting with the patterns agrarian roots.

I found this interesting blade stamp on one of Stan Shaw's knives while reading Geoffrey Tweedale's article on the Two-legged Parser.

After some of my previous posts and some offline chat, I received a kind invitation from fellow member 1500international, to visit and view some of his absolutely outstanding collection. I say 'some of his collection' because, although we spent the best part of a Saturday afternoon examining and discussing many wonderful knives and tools, he tells me I have still only seen a small part of it!

Mate, that was just a fantastic day, and I can't wait to catch up again!

So for the second official Love for the Lambsfoot day, here's some knives from that collection, I've been saving up for you Guardians.

(Sorry about the photo quality too - I think my hand was a wee bit unsteady from the excitement of having so many superb knives in front of me! :D)

A Wingfield.

An interesting Joseph Rodgers, in that it's on a coke bottle type frame.

A Herbert Robinson.

'Hand Forged' stamp on the pile side of the tang.

And a close up of the great blade stamp featuring a working cutler at his trow.

(Charlie C, if you happen to be pondering on an appropriate blade stamp or etch for a projected future Real Lambsfoot SFO on GECs 47 or 74 frame, well, look no further, my friend! LOL! :p:D)

I was quite excited to see this old 'Western Castrator' with a Lambsfoot secondary blade, after seeing old catalogue images of a very similar knife recently.

And a group shot.

Last edited:
Back