1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Gunstock History / Vintage Examples

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by richstag, Oct 15, 2012.

1. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Hello friends,

I am always interested in the history of patterns. Since I received my GEC gunstock I have been googling and searching here for history.

The best I found was in this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...odhead(s)-gunstock-pattern?highlight=Gunstock

Awesome thread btw, but no conclusive answer.

I was hoping that someone amongst us may have an answer. Any and all info on the history will be greatly appreciated and Enjoyed!

Any photos along with details of vintage gunstocks would be amazing.

I found one other reverse gunstock stockman posted by KnifeHead a while back.

I am just not finding much.

Thanks for any and all help!

Kevin

2. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Kevin, Here's an old Empire gunstock jack that I gifted to a friend. I don't think I have any photos of other examples... does the Case 6332 pattern count?

[​IMG]

3. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Very nice Jake. Do you have any info about the Empire you gifted? Nice gift btw. As for the Case, idk. I'm trying to learn about this myself :)

Basically any history is good info for me. Reverse gunstock or regular or anything I don't know of (I know that's a lot).

The more the better. The closer to 1900 and earlier the better. I can find current and recent production stuff pretty easily though.

Thanks!

4. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    The guy who sold me the knife sold the largest collection of gunstocks that I've ever seen... all listed individually at the same time... I'll see if I can dig up some more stuff when I get back home (I'm at Starbucks :eek:)

5. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    That would be awesome, thanks Jake! Enjoy your coffee.

6. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    Kevin......

Here's a few....the two Schatt & Morgan's (L) date 1903-1932 and the Queen City (R) 1922-1942

[​IMG]

7. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Those are just great! Thank you for both the image and the info, Jim. They just don't do bone the same anymore do they? Wow.

8. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Cool knives, Jim!

Kevin, Unfortunately the auctions are no longer showing up on the eBay website. If you search Worthpoint for "vintage gunstock knife", you'll pull up some examples. Here are some catalog scans...

1927 Empire
    [​IMG]

1920 Remington
    [​IMG]

1918 Bingham
    [​IMG]

1918 Ulster
    [​IMG]

1918 Ulster
    [​IMG]

1925 Ulster
    [​IMG]

1927 Ulster
    [​IMG]

1927 Ulster
    [​IMG]

From what I understand, there are also gunstock whittlers, gunstock stock knives, and gunstock lobsters. I would need to double check the definitions in Levine's Guide but I don't have my books with me. I've also seen photos of some unusual hybrids like an easy open gunstock and a farmer's jack/whittler/gunstock with a folding ivory budding blade. Here's a catalog scan with Keen Kutter stock and double-end jacks. The handle appears to be the reverse of a gunstock but I don't know if that is the actual pattern name.

[​IMG]

The gun stock jack was clearly recognized in old catalogs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. zippofan

zippofan

Nov 12, 2011
    Just a question, it seems that the classic Gunstock jack always had a spear blade, did any of the old makers use a clip?

10. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Thats okay about the auction info, Jake. What you gave me here is way over the top and extremely helpful! Thank you very much :)

It is very good to see the gunstock recognized in catalogs. I will check out worthpoint today also. Originally I just wanted more info on the history, which I am most definitely getting from you guys. With this info I don't see anything very similar to the GEC. Jim's Queen city with clip and pen reminds me the most of it, but even the Queen city of Jim's seems to keep the butt end wide like the end of a rifle stock. The GEC does not do this.

I wonder, did the pattern start with someone saying, "I want a handle that looks like a gunstock" or "wow, the handle I just made looks like a gunstock" ?

Thanks,

Kevin

11. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Kevin, this may work into the history of the design somehow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstock_War_Club

Jim McDougall has a great explanation on a forum about early ethnographic arms.

I am really enjoying all the contributions and this thread idea:D

12. jujigatame

jujigatame

Mar 21, 2005
    Where do I get one of those big red pointing finger stamps? :)

The end caps on some of those Ulsters look like they were the inspiration of what Schatt did with their F&W single blade gunstock.

13. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Gevonovich, thank you. When I get to a computer I am going to search what you mentioned :)

14. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Kevin, My impression is that the GEC gunstock is was intended to be the reverse of the type of handles on the stock and jack knives in the Keen Kutter ads... but stylized a little... perhaps to make it their own.

Nate, You can get your own humongous pointing finger on photobucket.com, under "stamps". I wish I could find the arrow that I used to use but I think they got rid of it... or at least I can't find it on the new beta test software.

15. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Btw, I'm not sure that the 1927 Empire ad and the Empire knife in my photo are Gunstocks.... It does look similar but the bolsters aren't square and the handle is more rounded. The ad says "stabber, Norfolk front"... perhaps a combination of a norfolk pattern and a stabber jack??? I'm not sure...

16. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Idk, Jake, it kind of reminds me more of my 73 with a similar setup. I wanted to thank you again. I also have to say, I believe I like the vintage designs I am seeing better than the GEC. I can't even really look at the bone on mine after seeing Jim's queen city. Pretty depressing actually. With that said, I think its great to see this history. Without some kind of reference I would be blind judging my GEC.

This place is the best.

Kevin

17. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    Kevin....

It is a beauty....and we need more knife handles like it...

18. richstag

richstag

Feb 22, 2007
    Cheers to that, Jim.

19. puukkoman

puukkoman

Sep 30, 2004
    Whoa! Those are some HUGE gunstocks! I'd love to find one that size.
    ...unless I'm getting it backward, and the far-left one is super-tiny...

20. quattromori

quattromori

May 7, 2011
    I have to say, even though I never handled one, I've always been attracted by gunstock jacks...so I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures on this thread.
    Taking a look at Jake's catalog images, it seems that there have been a couple of "serpentine gunstock jacks" in the past (meaning, gunstock jacks with a slightly curved frame). I'd sure like to see one of them :)

Fausto
    :cool: