1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

H&R Tamer shotgun...

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by LeeCQC, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LeeCQC

LeeCQC

Oct 30, 2007
    Anyone have one of these, or have ever tried one out? I've got my eye on one, as a camp gun to keep around the tent. Looks like a handy little number, and the price cant be beat. I've used a H&R 20 gauge before (my cousin owns one of the single shot Pardner models), and it seemed like a decent gun. Just wanted you guys thoughts and opinions on this puppy.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tamer.asp

2. kdstrick

kdstrick Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2007
    I have a single shot 12 gauge. It has the normal wood stock, and an 18" barrel... I call it "the mule" (for obvious reasons). Besides the recoil it is reliable and dependable. A 20 G would probably be a bit better with the recoil. Also, I noticed the "tamer" is a full choke. I really like that.

3. k_estela

k_estela Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum Moderator

Feb 23, 2001
    The Survivor is a model you may want to look into. The .410 gauge is nothing to scoff at. A .410 slug can leave a barrel with a 1800 fps velocity. We recommend the M6 Scout .22lr/.410 survival rifle/shotgun at the WLC and Marty has made a hybrid shotgun with the survivor stock and another .410 receiver/barrel that is stainless. The 20 gauge is nice but I like my 12 gauge for home defense and my .410 for woods use. In a true survival situation where food gathering is a concern, I'd take a .410 for small game. I don't see myself going for large game. If I were, I'd break out the 12 gauge with slugs. That is a whole other discussion or debate.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with the H&R lineup. Buy one, practice often and keep us posted!

4. rroundy

rroundy

Aug 11, 2007
    have the h and r 12 gauge. first time i shot it the breech would open up with each round. i figured it was supposed to do that. then sent it back and they had it for several months. when i got it back i took it out to pop off a few rounds. guess what, yep, the breech would pop open every time. sent it back and they kept it for 6 months. they lost it at the factory and wouldnt give me another. after constant hounding i got it back. shoots great and doesnt open. only took just about a year. other than shoddy workmanship and horrendous customer service i give them " 2 snaps up in a Z formation. FABULOUS!"

ryan

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson

Jul 17, 2006
    Kev, how much to those M6 Scout's run? It's an ugly little cuss, but it could come in handy.

6. k_estela

k_estela Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum Moderator

Feb 23, 2001
    PB,

They are coming back in popularity and commanding a premium. Expect to pay upwards of $450+ for a stainless model. This price is much higher than the original MSRP. Even though they are ugly, you'll never break one. I absolutely love mine!

[​IMG]