1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Had the opportunity to meet Rick Hinderer this weekend.....

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by Rolex John, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rolex John

Rolex John Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2010
    I attended Tactical Defense Institute this weekend for their Handgun I-III course. Much to my surprise, Rick Hinderer was introduced as one of the instructors!

I got the opportunity to talk to him a bit over the three days...what an amazing guy! Custom knife make, business owner, firearms enthusiast, Fire Fighter / EMT...where does he find the time?? I was really impressed that Rick also volunteers his time with the Honor Guard Network - what a great service to our veterans.

I've been into knives for the past couple of years but have stuck with mostly mainstream production stuff - Spyderco, Benchmade...and briefly owned a Chris Reeves. I was of course quite familiar with the Hinderer name, but wasn't quite to the point of wanting a custom knife. But the experience of meeting Rick and getting to know him a bit really made me want to get one of his knives, so I picked up an XM-24:

[​IMG]

I'll be working on a review over the next couple of weeks. I'm also hoping to get an XM-18 quite soon - I'm hooked!

In the interim, I'll try to pick out another G10 color and hoped the blued titanium stand offs come back into stock soon.

2. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Welcome to the Addiction! Nice score on the 24 and cool that you got to meet Rick. He is indeed a great guy and as you might expect the rest of his herd is a cut above as well. Certainly is a factor in the loyalty many of us feel towards the folks, the brand and all the great products.
    Sounds like you had a great time.

3. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    I've had the pleasure of meeting Rick at the airport in Vegas.

Great guy, and great knives.

Moose

4. Rob Orlando

Rob Orlando

Nov 16, 2009
    I know that Rick guy, but did someone say TDI? :D

[​IMG]

5. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Hotdog guy is armed:eek: TDI looks like Fun as well as good training.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. Bushmaster-M4gery

Bushmaster-M4gery

Sep 9, 2008
    Yet another pic of Rob playing with his weiner

7. Acerazor

Acerazor

May 25, 2011
    I'm digging the walmart special propane grill Rob. I had one, until I tried to pick it up and the handles snapped and cut me then busted onto the concrete. It's no Hinderer build but it'll do. :)
    Looks like a fun get together .

8. RDA

RDA

Aug 6, 2010
    Geez, all sorts of potential captions for that one:

"Where is Timmy when you need him?"
    "Who's complaining about their dog being overdone?"
    "These dogs don't hold a candle to Hinderer award winning sausages."

Seeing you man that grill, I'll be sure to bring some burgers in September.

Congrats to the OP on the XM-24 and welcome to the addiction.

9. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Congrats on meeting the man behind these awesome knives. At Blade 2011 I spoke with Rick, Rob and others in the Hinderer booth. I did not introduce myself, just engaged in casual conversation. I did shake Rick's hand and have a photo somewhere on my buddy's SD card.

I was not a forum member or even a Hinderer owner (until the final lottery of the show). Now I am, and hope to properly introduce myself at Blade. These guys are great. They politely answer newbie questions, possess a good sense of humor, and a respectful demeanor---just all-round good people.

Those who were at Blade 2011 during the handout of the final lottery tickets may have heard a voice in the crowd say "come on people, let the man get to his own booth". A crowd had gathered around the booth to score lotto tickets and Ricks path was blocked by a mob of my fellow knife nuts. I'm the guy who loudly suggested the crowd part and let him enter.

10. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    N2K Which/what was the Blade 2011 score? Was that your Bronze Goddess?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. Mountain Wildman

Mountain Wildman

Aug 29, 2010
    Congratulations on your new Hinderer and say good bye to all of your spare cash!!;)

12. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
    Correct. My Bronze anno 24 flipper. Came factory fresh with OD Green G10 scale. Now, well...she's Ti all over.

13. Acerazor

Acerazor

May 25, 2011
    Btw Rob, is that a Glock I see?

14. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
  15. motojg

motojg

Jul 9, 2009
    Grillin' up some meat with a gun on the hip... doesn't get much better than that.

16. Need2Know

Need2Know

Aug 31, 2011
  17. Rob Orlando

Rob Orlando

Nov 16, 2009
    That junk POS! We bought it the morning we made the trip down to TDI, because PB&J didn't sound to good for 3 days. It mangaged to last those 3, and the gas regulator fell out of the damn thing in the car on the way home. I have Handgun 4-5, Tac Rifle 1, and Handgun 6 this year, so I need to upgrade!!

Yes, 19. The Hinderer Shop requires you own numerous Glocks, it's a policy.

18. Tjc591

Tjc591

Aug 7, 2011
    Cool, I knew I liked these guys

19. Rolex John

Dec 4, 2010
    Rick was a real sport this weekend. I was very concerned about bringing up his "business" during TDI - I sort of thought that one of his motivations for being involved with TDI would be to "get away" from business and knives for a few days. The last thing he might want to have to put up with was newbie knife dork asking him questions. But even if that was the case, he never let on and was more than gracious when we chatted. Again, super nice guy - I'll be seeing him several more times later this summer and fall at TDI and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

20. Rolex John

Dec 4, 2010
    On what date are you taking Tac rifle 1? Maybe we're in the same class....

Apparently an S&W or two as well - Rick and I were both shooting essentially the same Bowie Tactical modified M&P 9c:

[​IMG]

I'll need to take another of these photos with my new XM-24...:D

[​IMG]