1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Hairline crack on gen 3 (cts-xhp)

Discussion in 'Rick Hinderer Knives' started by burt_bb, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    I have xm-18 gen 2 and gen 3. Today I found hairline crack on gen 3 (cts-xhp). The line is on thumb stud side to side.

Is it ok ? Can I use my knife on hard work ?

I think I have 2 choices.

1. Use and use and use till it brake , sent this knife to Rick. ^^
    2. Don't use anymore , sent this knife to Rick . T^T

2. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Option #3 (if you can) post a pic. Easier to see what you mean and better answer the question.

3. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    There aren't opening for me Burt, assuming it is in fact a hairline crack of some kind adjacent the thumb stud, I don't think normal useage is going to cause a failure BUT if the knife is in original form (not pimped) and hasn't been abused - it sounds like a (rare) warranty issue but that obviously is a call made by Hinderer and company.

5. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    The site opens but the pic doesn't. Tried several different ways.

6. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Did you contact Rob?

8. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Burt, in Pic #1 (G10 side) I honestly don't see anything.
    In Pic#2 (lock side) I see some dots look almost like a RW test mark except IF something like that was there it wouldn't be multiple.
    Is this knife a new acquisition, did you just notice the marks?

Not sure what your camera capability is but if you can, push in on Pic#2

9. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Just wanted to point out the knife is in Bangkok Thailand, so it might cost a bit more with a longer time to repair if sent back for repairs. It's always different when it out of the country.

10. Varga Knives

Varga Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2006
    I believe I see exactly what you mean. I could be wrong but I see what appear to be two hairline cracks running on the first and second cutouts of the jimping from one side to the other. If my eyes aren't deceiving me I would say they are cracks and not scratches because they are on both sides.

If this is correct your best bet is to contact Rob. Also, probably will never go beyond what you already have but if a lot of lateral pressure is exerted in an open position there is a potential of the stud breaking out.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    Rubiconss, on g10 side crack line is black line over thumb stud. On lock side is cts-xhp mark and crack line over thumb stud too. Sorry for unsharp pics, I will post new pics tomorrow. The crack line start from thumb stud left side to right side.

12. RubiconSS

RubiconSS

Jan 12, 2011
    Good eyes Strider, I dont see it. All I see are the 7 dots in pic#2 (4 in a square with 3 dots in a line to the right, looks like a kite)

As all said, an email or PM to Rob gets right to the solution, they are probably bust getting ready for ECCKS but Rob is great at responses.

From what you're saying Burt, Strider nailed it. (I'm looking at the pics on my phone)

13. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    Thank you, Onlooker96, Strider214 , Rubiconss

I will contact Rob tomorrow.

I hope Rob will said, it's not defect can use it for hard work. ^^

14. azchansa

azchansa Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Burt, I was told from Rick that since the thumbstuds are press fitted, on a VERY RARE occasion the blade will crack near the thumbstud. You are more likely to hit the lottery than to have something like this happen! Contact Rob and let him know what happened. I can guarantee that he will take care of whatever he can in his power. The Hinderer crew is world class, and stand behind their products 110%! Good luck!

15. burt_bb

burt_bb

Aug 20, 2010
    Thank you, Azchansa

I decided to keep this blade ,after I read your post.

I won lottery. ^^

16. Acerazor

Acerazor

May 25, 2011
    In that case I'd play the numbers!

17. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Did anyone ever see or hear of this on the other steel Hinderer uses?

18. Hammer

Hammer

Oct 3, 1998
    First time I've heard of it ever.

19. onlooker96

onlooker96 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Do you think it was always there and you just noticed it recently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.