1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Has anyone ever ordered wire rope (cable) from Fastenal?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by jawilder, Jul 24, 2012.

1. jawilder

jawilder

Jun 27, 2006
    I see that they are cheaper than hightemptoos.com by about $2.50 per foot. It seems to be the exact same high carbon extra improved plow steel. Has anyone ever ordered any from Fastenal? Can you have it shipped to the store to save on shipping cost?

Where else do you find your cable for cable damascus?

2. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Talk to the millwrights that do work for an elevator, general millwright, or crane service company.

They have to change cables and may be able to save you a few hundred or thousand feet from the scrapyard.

Cable Damascus may be interesting enough to them that they will do some tradesies swaps.

3. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket Moderator

Apr 15, 2010
    If you can't find it locally as the Count suggests, always check with Enco for deals before ordering from Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster-Carr etc.. They're a subsidiary of MSC; they don't always have stuff in stock so it may take a bit longer, but they run lots of specials and can save you some cash. Any questions, message me and I'll run them past my fiance (she works in sales for MSC - sorry, no I can't get us any steeper discounts :p)

4. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    A few years back I went to a local crane service company and came home with 175 ft of 1 inch cable in trade for a knife made out of it. I still have about 165ft of it and the wood spool is a table in the shop now. I think sometimes about selling some of it off as it will last me a lifetime for sure.

5. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Drilling rig contractors have lots of cable to get rid of as they change the line in their traveling blocks based on ton-miles of use.

6. JMJones

JMJones

Jul 14, 2010
  7. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    I don't see comments about specs ?? Obviously you don't want galvanized of fiber core . But what about 6x19 vs 6x37 etc. Best diameter , 1" or more ? The best extra plow steel too.

8. jawilder

jawilder

Jun 27, 2006
    Mete, it is the exact same stuff that Ellis used to sell. 6x36 up to 1.25"

9. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    We have a local crane repair company here, and i mentioned it to a guy in passing, next day he showed up with 2 8foot 1.25 cables and a 28 foot 2 inch cable. Never hurts to ask :D

10. Truelove

Truelove

Aug 16, 2005
    I tried to order some cable from these guys about a month back, because the prices looked good and they had 2 inch cable by the foot. They took the order, then nothing for 4 weeks. I called them to cancel and they were apologetic, and said one of the diameters I wanted wasn't in stock, and they were straight-forward in cancelling the order. I paid the extra $ at High Temp Tools, and got the package within the week. You mileage may vary, but . . .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. Robert Dark

Robert Dark KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2004
    Be careful buying used cable. Like "mete" said, you can get some with a "Plastic" core. A few years ago, a guy gave me a section of cable and I proceeded to put in my forge to burn off the oil. Well, after a minute or two, I noticed this crap bubbling out the end of the cable. Made a heck-uva mess in the bottom of my forge.

Toopid me didn't check it and had to re-line my poor old forge. Can I get a big "DUH" here?

Robert (Who occasionally has brain-far*s)

12. SteelSlaver

SteelSlaver

Feb 17, 2007
    I don't live that far from the big oil boom in N. Dakota. I know the drilling rigs strip and cut 60' to 100' chunks of 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" line on a regularly. Next time I am over there with the pick up I'll see if I can round some up. Depending on what I can get it for, I could strip the core, cut it up. Maybe I could get us all a decent supply at a reasonable cost.

They cut off the "fast line" end where it gets wrapped on the drum repeatedly, wears and a lot of the lube comes out of it. I used to run drilling rigs and the tar from the line got all over the draw works. (giant winch).