Has CRK Spoiled you against other knives?

Yes. I pretty much only buy CRK. I only buy another brand if it's something I need and CRK doesn't make it.

Nope, I still love my Benchmades, Spydercos, ZTs, and others just as much and maybe more. Every different knife I get makes me appreciate the good features of other knives even more. I allows me to compare and find the features I really like. They all have good attributes, well most anyway. I like the Hinderer MP-1 I got this week and the Ontario RAT 2 I got last week. I just appreciate good cutlery.

No. Particularly with fixed blades, there are many which meet and exceed what CRK offers.

I got my first Sebenza 21 a week ago... awesome knive, LOVE it and I'm happy I have one.
It has not dimmed my love for Spyderco at all.
I've never seen anything like Spyderco as an EVERYTHING knife. Spydercos are workhorses for sure... whether it's a PM2 or a Delica 4.. all bases are covered. So many of my knives are good for some things, not so good for others... but all of my Spydercos seem to be able to do anything, no matter which model I'm carrying for the day.

My CRKs are my current, most-used lineup. I have only recently joined the CRK family, and am blown away by the knives I have. I am currently saving for the new insingo inkosi as my next "must have" knife. But right behind the CRKs is my Gayle Bradley 2 that I have, and the upcoming Maxamet PM2 will be the next knife I save for. In some ways the Spyderco lineup is more interesting because they offer so many more steel choices to try out, in good quality, affordable knives. So the short answer to the OP's question is "No", but a number of other brands have fallen off my radar for now.

It wasn't until my small Inkosi came along that the light switch was turned on for me with CRK. I had owned and sold 3 Sebenza's prior to the Inkosi. I owned 2 other Sebenza's after the Inkosi and I've finally found one now that I absolutely enjoy. But it was the Inkosi that turned me. When taking everything (fit, finish, maintainence, value, usability, ect. ect.) into account it's hard to make an argument for other brands. Shiro production knives are right there but maybe not as easy to maintain and costly. Hinderer is getting pretty close to the value and F&F marks.

In some ways the Spyderco lineup is more interesting because they offer so many more steel choices to try out, in good quality, affordable knives. So the short answer to the OP's question is "No", but a number of other brands have fallen off my radar for now.

I agree with this. My small sebenza is my EDC but I like the different steels spyderco offers. So no for me too

I was a late comer to CRK and "pricey" folders in general. In fact about a couple of years ago, I would've scoffed at myself if I had thought about spending more that $100 on a folder but now I own a couple of CRKs which borderline the price point of an average 9mm or 45 ACP semi-auto!

After having gone through a couple of Sebbies, I have come to the conclusion that it is only the Wilson Combat renditions of the CRK line which really titillate me. I just dig the starburst pattern on those Ti slabs not only because of aesthetics but also because of their added grippiness (since I'm not in wet and cold weather climate, so the temp issues are not currently of concerns) and also the cool and rarity factors.

That said in addition to the fact that the CRKs see more pocket time and I fiddle with them more, my CRKs will most unlikely supplant my penchant for some Spyderco patters, in particular the Military. At the expense of ruffling some feathers, when it comes to being a purely cutting demon the CRKs don't really measure up to the Millie (and quite a few other Spydies / other makes) right out of the box. With a lot of fiddling and effort some more successes may be gained in that edge sharpness comparisons but IMHO that remains one area of weakness in my love affair and infatuation with the CRK line.

I have handled but never purchased a CRK because the in hand feel has yet to thrill me the exception being the recently ceased production Ti-Lock that one did have a great in hand feel plus the fun locking mechanism. I will say the new Insingo has also made me interested but the rest of their models don't thrill me. I know that it is a quality product that will last and have heard about the service you get from CRK but I have to love the knife too.

The sebbie is a rock solid piece of work. No doubt. But at the moment Benchmade has more pocket time with the axis lock fun and better steels.

To a degree, yes. This is an almost complete package. There is no other knife that has this many features that I like.
Other knives have blade steels I like better. I carry other knives simply because I like a variety.

Reactions: 353
...when it comes to being a purely cutting demon the CRKs don't really measure up...
Benchmade...better steels.
That pretty much sums it up for me with respect to CRK folders: Good stuff all around, but not great in certain respects. Fun, but perhaps not as fun as others. You can get away with a Sharpmaker for all your CRK needs. But as a hobbyist, I want products which insist upon diamond and SPS II stones.

I can't say that CRK has spoiled me for other brands at all. I will say that over the years, I've come to concentrate on carrying/using 3 brands (in no specific order):
CRK
Victorinox
Spyderco.

I always have a couple of SAKs on me, along with whatever single-bladed, one-handed folder I carry. That will never change. For most of the past 19 months, my one-handed folder has been my large plain Insingo. Sometimes I switch it out to carry my Native 5 LWT, or some other Spyderco. I'm currently saving up a 'large Inkosi fund'. I've already accumulated 1/4 of it just from spare change I've been accumulating in a container.

There are some times, places, situations, etc., where I'd rather carry the Spyderco over the CRK. For example, I just drop my Native 5 Lwt down in my pocket; works better in dressier situations. But oddly enough, in spite of CRK prices, I'm not hesitant to use my CRK for some tougher jobs that I might hesitate a bit with some of my Spyderco's, as I know the CRK can handle it without damage. Not saying a Spyderco is weak or couldn't handle it; it's just a feeling I get.

Jim

^^^ those aforementioned three are pretty much the entirety of my folding utilitarian brands.

Rockstead Higo is the only other knife that compares.

I have to agree with Travis. I have had several customs and a few Rocksteads (can not bring myself to use them the blade is so nice) but I alway sell them and replace the with CRK. I am only a user (love to look at others collections) and I know I will never be let down with a CRK. I only have 3, all regulars and do not see myself getting any more. Always a small are a large in my pocket.

Benchmade is the brand that lured me into buying my first expensive knife. CRK is the brand that really set the benchmark as to what quality/engineering in a knife means to "me". Having said that, after trying out a handful of brands, I will continue to own only Benchmade and CRK.

Yes and no. I started carrying a second knife a while back because a CRK has been in my pocket every since I acquired my first left handed CRK. I enjoy all my knives and try to rotate the second knife as far as different brands go. I've got several CRK's that also get rotated.

Unfortunately yes, actually I'd like to be more excited about some other knives to make things more interesting, sometimes I buy knives from other brands but then I get rid of them because I only carry Sebenzas

Back