Have you ever seen anything creepy?

Have you ever felt like something was wrong? Being watched? Being tracked? and what did you do to overcome that feeling that something was generally not right.

Have you ever felt like something was wrong? Being watched? Being tracked? and what did you do to overcome that feeling that something was generally not right.

Sure. Anyone who has served knows the feeling. Many corporate executives have learned it. Not enough politicians know it, yet...

The first thing one has to do is to recognize what your senses are telling you. Stay calm and keep your wits about you. Then act on the feeling. Action my be hunkering down, picking up the pace, or changing direction. And those can be taken literally or as metaphors. Or one can try to ignore the feeling and blindly walk into the kill zone.

Listen to your gut...
Dave

When I was a 1SG one of my duties was to give the Company a safety briefing every friday before releasing them for the weekend. One of the key points every week was listen to that little voice. If your ever anywhere or doing something and your brain is saying "Oh man I shouldn't be here/doing this" it is a pretty dang good indication that you should leave or stop.

I don't get creeped out in the woods very much but sometimes it does happen, and I will will just start paying attention to my suroundings a lot more closely. I get way more creeped out in urban settings or crowds and generally won't stray too far from exits, some people call it paranoid, I call it situational awareness. LOL Chris

There used to be a guy here in this forum named Magnusen and his avatar creeped me out. It was like his stink-eye was following me. He had this sneer that was like, "I'm going to eat you!".

He's gone now so I feel safe here. I never did find out if he actually ate anyone, but several people went missing while he was here. :)

Yes. in the woods or around cities. I usually just change direction/pattern and watch more closely.

If I catch someone watching me too closely, I pause and look at them like they owe me money. They usually look away.

Animal behavior is interesting. Deer will ignore people in a car or people just walking along not looking at them, but stop and look at them or point at them- it is a new ballgame. Their instincts help them survive.

Bill

There used to be a guy here in this forum named Magnusen and his avatar creeped me out. It was like his stink-eye was following me. He had this sneer that was like, "I'm going to eat you!".

He's gone now so I feel safe here. I never did find out if he actually ate anyone, but several people went missing while he was here. :)

Homo Sapiens.....the other white meat? No I have never ''felt'' watched outdoors. I have in the city though. And I have also been outdoors and come across bush parties which I give a wide berth to.

In the outdoors, i've felt watched a few times - always gives me the hee-bee-jee-bee's. I stay pretty prepared, but the element of surprise is nothing to forget.

I read a brief article someone wrote on this very topic entitled, "The Fear". WOW! did it hit home for me.

I surf.

There's a word surfers use to describe a spot on a particular day. They use it like describing the weather and the waves. Right up there with sunny or rainy is the word "sharky".

Surfer 1: "Hey man, how was San-O yesterday?"

Surfer 2: "Shoulder high, glassy, peeling, fogged in, calm. It would have been a perfect day if it didn't feel so sharky."

It's really funny how a whole group of surfers suddenly look around at each other as if thier ESP alarm just went off. There's no evidence of it. No ripple. No fin. No jump or breach. But suddenly one guy might turn to another and ask: "You feel that?" "Yeah, but I'm trying to ignore it." Probably two days of this will go by before someone actually sees a white shark hanging around the break. And when it happens, nobody is surprised by it. They felt it days ago.

Some guys sense it from the shore and don't even go in.

Again, if you feel like you're being watched. It's likely because you are.

I don't get creeped out...I creep out the other people in the woods.:)

IMG_6371.jpg

I was hiking with a group of friends sometime just after high school and we heard a continuous base line coming from the woods at about 11pm while we sat around the campfire. It was a very low "Thump Thump Thump Thump..." and we all came to the conclusion that a bunch of people hauled some audio equipment and generators into the woods and were having a rave about a quarter mile away (we were in the heart of a giant National Forest). It went on and on for over an hour and was creeping the girls out a bit. I didn't really want to go to sleep with a hundred people rolling on E walking through the woods right by us. Two guys and myself decided to go check it out from a distance and we head off. I was younger back then, and all I grabbed my 2xAA flashlight, a lighter, and a Mora. We hiked through the woods for about 3/4 of a mile and the sound just kept coming from ahead of us with no change in volume or intensity. We discussed it and decided to keep going until we found the source. After more than a hour of hiking (we looked on a map later and we walked about 3 miles out) we came to a chain link fence running as far as we could see in both directions. Behind the chain link fence was a hydroelectric dam that was emoting a low pitched thrumming sound... It was just as loud looking at it as was 3 miles away. We all stared for a bit then turned around to the woods. It hit us all at the same time: "we just walked in the dark for an hour without a clue where we were going and now we have to get back". We didn't even remember where we emerged from the woods or which direction was back. We decided to follow the moon until we hit the trail and hope we could head the right direction from there (50/50 we wind up back at camp or head farther away). after a half hour of walking, we realized no one person was in charge of keeping track of the moon, and we were about 90 degrees off course. We discussed setting up camp and waiting till light (This was September in Michigan, so 45 degree nights were common). We decided to walk for another few minutes and see if we could find the trail. Soon after that, we spotted a campfire a ways off through the trees (it was around 1:30am by now). We decided to go to it and wake up the camp (that irresponsibly left their fire going) to ask where we were. As we arrive at the fire, we realize it's ours and our friends are sleeping around it (otherwise they would have put it out).

I had prayed during that walk back and truly believe that God had caused us to deviate from our plan of following the moon so we'd end up seeing the campfire that should have been put out. Moral of the story: If you feel like your being watched and you decide to check it out, make sure you are able to get back.

Never seen anything "creepy" while out. However, I have had that feeling that something wasn't right bad enough to call off an overnighter. Packed up and hiked back to the car at about 11:00PM with my gun in my hands. Nothing happened, but I've never felt it quite like that.

I have learned to trust that gut feeling from many things other than camping as well, and it seems to serve me fairly well. It is a pretty rare occasion that I do but it does usually pay off.

Creepy #1

When I was about 12, my friend and I were bumming in the woods near his home and found a cleanly severed Hereford cow head sitting perfectly upright on the ground. No blood and no other cow parts around.

Creepy #2

I was on a motorcycle trip and two guys in a red pickup were eyeballing me in the parking lot at a grocery store where I had stopped for food. An hour later and some distance away, I was setting up camp at a nice spot just off a remote dirt road, and the same truck creeps slowly by with the two guys checking me out. Too much of a coincidence, so I packed up and opted for a State Park campground instead.

where i went to college there were TONS of abandoned buildings as it was on an old military base. My buddies and i used to charge around in the buildings all the time it was a blast. I used to like to go out by myself occasionally and one time while i was out there i got the "fear". Im talking the worst ive ever felt it in my life. It was insane ice cold rushes telling me to run for my life, just the thinking about it is giving me the chills.

Now im in the MIDDLE of an abandoned neighborhood. Inside of a house, on the second floor. Its dusk and getting darker. probably a few miles in.

I ALWAYS have a knife on me so that is immediately pulled out. I stay crouched down for a little while and slowly get out of the house. Now mind you, i havent heard anything or seen anything, just got the FEELING. My heart is slamming and i'm moving quieter than i have ever moved in my life. I exit the house and run to the next as fast as i can. Feeling still there, move on to the next, and the next till i get close to my house. I checked the way and sprinted accross a clearing and into the road. sprinting all the way home.

When i got back I'm obviously shaken up and wild eyed. Im pretty sure i still had my knife exposed in my hand. Girlfriend looks at me and can tell im freaked out.

Next day or a few days later my buddies and i head back out there and try to figure out what might have been going on. Nothing.

It was pretty trippy to say the least. I went back out many times after that and would get the creeps a little but nothing like that.

Another time my buddy and i were out riding minibikes in this place called Beaumont here in california. It was super late at night and we had been drinking. We were in our late teens and were on small minibikes, crf50's. he is in front of me and all of a sudden he slams on his brakes and just hauls ass past me screaming or something. i follow him untill he stops my heart is absolutely jacked, we rode those minibikes so damn fast it was insane. seriously riding for our lives like something was going to kill us. Something just freaked him out, he couldnt explain it. he was pretty freaked out, we went back to camp and everyone was looking over their shoulder for the rest of the evening.

Good times! lol

Yep, so I stoped and waited about 20 and I'll be damned, a mountain lion came creeping down the creek tracking me!

Yep, so I stoped and waited about 20 and I'll be damned, a mountain lion came creeping down the creek tracking me!

Yup, I have had that happen to me too. I was sitting, watching the water at Lake Roosevelt, and I felt 'the chill' all of the sudden. Like the rest of you, I have learned to trust it. I made for the tree line, crouched near the brook by the trail and watched a cougar come down the trail after me. I don't think I have ever felt 'the chill' so intensely in my life...scary stuff!!

One time I watched myself in the mirror for so long that I totally freaked out and thought that someone who looked like me was watching me from another dimension. Then I realized I was in the house and not in the woods and that it was just the government in a me suit watching me, and I felt better. I drank whiskey and it all went away.

I was walking in the woods one day and I felt something watching me so I looked to my 5 oclock and I see a good sized coyote stalking me in the long grass I was walking in. he was not very far away and I instinctively turned toward it and pulled my knife so fast I had hardly realized it and he ran off. It all happened very fast. Not that scary to some but I was still in the long grass with it (maybe them?) for quite a while until I got out!

A few years ago I was mushroom hunting and heard a large cat roar. I was pretty young at the time ran to my mother. That was by far the most freaked out I have been in the woods.
I haven't gone into the woods without a knife since then.

Back