1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Heat treating 1084

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Sprayman, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sprayman

Sprayman

Nov 15, 2014
    Hello, Bladesmiths:

I"m heat treating and quenching a piece of 1084 today. Afterwards, I will put it in the oven but do not know at what temperature and for how long. Any advice?

Thanks,

Sprayman

2. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    1500/400 works just fine.

3. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    cant go wrong with this as a general rule. Temper for about two hours x2.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    With simple steels, like the 10X series, two one hour tempers are fine. Cool in water after each temper cycle to cool it to room temp.

I just stick them under a running tap of cold water, wipe them dry, and stick right back in the oven for a second hour.

High alloy, complex steels, and stainless steels do better with two 2 hour temper cycles.