1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

heat treating 5160

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by m. wohlwend, Mar 29, 2008.

1. m. wohlwend

m. wohlwend Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    I am heat treating a new bade out of 5160, 8 inch blade, 1 1/2 tall, 1/4 inch spine, flat grind. Who has heat treated this steel and can you give a short explanation of what you did? I am using a two burner forge.
    What type of quenchant do you use?
    How long to soak in the forge?
    Will you get a "hamon line" ?
    What temp to temper at? how long?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Keith_H

Keith_H

Jul 20, 2007
  3. m. wohlwend

m. wohlwend Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    thank you, I have searched this forum, but really could not seem to come up with anything before I asked,
    Thanks again
    Mark

4. SteelSlaver

SteelSlaver

Feb 17, 2007
    I think 5160 needs 1525 for about 20 minutes then oil for best results. then a 400 temper. I have gotten a Harmon line using ATF as a quench. !525 is quite a bit above non magnetic, but I think you need it because of the chrome. Sure others know more than me. Jim

5. AcridSaint

AcridSaint

Jun 23, 2006
    I wouldn't go for the ABS test heat treat for anything other than the ABS test, personally. Even many master smiths have said it's a test to see if you can make a knife in a particular way, not a test to see if you can heat treat "the best" way.

I don't use 5160, so I'm not the best for answering the question, just wanted to say do due dilligence before using a particular method.

6. Keith_H

Keith_H

Jul 20, 2007
    ok, thats good to know, I thought that the whole purpose of the test is to make it the best.

7. AcridSaint

AcridSaint

Jun 23, 2006
    Well, the purpose is to make a knife that's the best at passing the test. I read one J.S. or M.S. (can't remember now) who said he was told that the test knife should be considered a custom order. It's not the knife you's supposed to make every day, it's a "if you're a master, you should be able to make -this-" sort of a thing.

On the Caffrey page linked above, he also suggests that the method be used only for a test knife. Although it's not entirely clear why, here's what he wrote:

"I recommend edge quenching ONLY on a blade that will be used for something as important as the ABS JS test."

Personally, I'd go with a through quench on any steel that I wasn't specifically trying to get a pattern on.

8. cden

cden

Nov 2, 2005
    Hi Cap,
    I believe that quote is to allow a bit of a safety margin to pass the bend test. Getting to that point assumes someone is still a go.

Take care, Craig

9. cden

cden

Nov 2, 2005
    Sorry, kinda repeated your earlier thoughts.