Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

Wow Josh. Seriously. If you find Luong's heat treatment good I think you may have found a real niche. People really want some of this high performance steel in folding knives and you and luong could provide that.

Very, very provocative. Seriously. If this can be done regularly then I know I'd want a folder's blade heat treated by Luong and ground by yourself. Something to seriously keep in mind.

If this is something that could possibly be a collaboration between you and Luong let me know how much it'd cost to get a spyderco military bladed with 10V or M4 heat treated by Luong.

I know for a fact Luong is legit with what he's doing and I know from that Ontario rat passaround and other pics here on the forums your grinds are legit.

Seriously, something to keep a real eye on. You both are really great with what you're doing.

Last edited:
I seriously want my spyderco sage 1 rebladed with Luongs HT'd m4 or m2, 0.4" opening hole, and 2/3 high grind.

Russ/bodog & Chris - your supports are appreciated :thumbup:

All I did was ht-ed Josh's nifty nice folder blades, the rest hard works of knife making are on Josh. Hopefully those ht-ed blades perform well...

CWF HT 1.25 M4 65+rc would be an excellent candidate. M2 has high potential but I need to tinker more before compare against M4.

What would be hardest tasks you throw at this blade? And of course your expectation/want of the edge afterward?

I seriously want my spyderco sage 1 rebladed with Luongs HT'd m4 or m2, 0.4" opening hole, and 2/3 high grind.

No cnc involved dude... I don't even have a mill (yet) LOL

These were drilled out on a drill press, roughed in and ground prior to ht, sent for ht, then I did the final grinding and tuning (grinding the lock face and drilling the detent hole) after.

Thanks man, super stoked about this!

Luong typed it, "High skills" :thumbup: I am a fan of Luong's performance-based designs and his focus on HT... but Josh's re-grinds and now re-BLADE efforts??? "wicked" (using modern context) is indeed and appropriate word. :thumbup: So awesome.

Josh - wow stunning rebladed job! You pre-ht ground those blades with high skills, so ht them were drama-free for me. From pic, look like you gave that 10V a super thin (behind edge ~0.010 +-0.002")? It sure looks wicked nice in xm18 frame.

Very good eye, yes I took it thin =) Not planning on hard use for the edge, at least, not immediately. It's a low height grind so it will thicken up w/ use but have high slicing ability. Good eye on the thinness!! It's at about .007-.008" at 15 dps on the hollow. The tip is super beefy, can pry w/ this thing no problem at all (not that I will need to hehe)

i-k8zFKkN-X2.png

Wow Josh. Seriously. If you find Luong's heat treatment good I think you may have found a real niche. People really want some of this high performance steel in folding knives and you and luong could provide that.

Very, very provocative. Seriously. If this can be done regularly then I know I'd want a folder's blade heat treated by Luong and ground by yourself. Something to seriously keep in mind.

If this is something that could possibly be a collaboration between you and Luong let me know how much it'd cost to get a spyderco military bladed with 10V or M4 heat treated by Luong.

I know for a fact Luong is legit with what he's doing and I know from that Ontario rat passaround and other pics here on the forums your grinds are legit.

Seriously, something to keep a real eye on. You both are really great with what you're doing.

Thanks dude, Luong is one of the best people to work with in the business imho, super friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. This is exciting for me for sure!

Chris "Anagarika";16992236 said:
Very nice indeed! Josh + Luong, a new brand born: CWFREK!
:thumbup:

LOLOL

Only problem I see with that is that Spyderco's spydie hole is trademarked, just like Emerson's wave. So I won't be able to incorporate these features into reblades without permission which I HIGHLY doubt either company will grant =)

Russ/bodog & Chris - your supports are appreciated :thumbup:

All I did was ht-ed Josh's nifty nice folder blades, the rest hard works of knife making are on Josh. Hopefully those ht-ed blades perform well...

I am hoping so as well my friend, now I just have to find time to finish the other two out... really excited about the m4 blade especially!

Luong typed it, "High skills" :thumbup: I am a fan of Luong's performance-based designs and his focus on HT... but Josh's re-grinds and now re-BLADE efforts??? "wicked" (using modern context) is indeed and appropriate word. :thumbup: So awesome.

Indeed I am a fan of his testing/methods as well, there's not many knife makers that go through the extensive testing I have seen Luong involved in. I am honored to work with him on this project :) Thanks for the compliment. I will say that 10V at 68.5rc is no joke to grind post HT LOL. only took the grind through 120 grit and the flats through 60um but had to use diamond lapping film.

Don't know why one shouldn't be able to put a hole back into one's blade in a Spyderco knife which one paid for.

Would new scales on a BM with cutouts for the axis lock violate a patent?

It sure is an interesting legal discussion.

In the worst case leave the metal plug semi attached in the not complete hole and the customer can complete the process if he wants to.

Ovals are known to work as well.

Wow, this is a cool thread, even though most of it sails over my head.

Luong re-HT'd a big 3V chopper of mine that was chipping during ordinary use. I've used that chopper hard since and no chipping at all. Amazing heat treat, especially a re-HT, which can be hard.

I've also had Josh regrind a blade for me to turn a ZT 0562 into the slicer it was supposed to be.

Costs could be difficult to control in reblading, but you might find a lot of demand. I know I'd like to reblade my Rukus with 3V.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Loving this latest turn! Two great craftsmen and stand-up guys doing amazing collaboration.
This may be my answer the next time one of those "what's your grail" threads comes around. Great heat treat on great steel, with great grind and geometry.

Chiral; Twindog; foofie - thanks :thumbup:

jpm2 - I just shot this video of M4 65.5rc to show damage mode when out-of-bound/designed usage happened.... Blade designed for pressure cuts but I induced edge damage by chopping beef rib bone.

Truncated/shortened video: 6m 9s
[video=youtube_share;_QPEwD5z13g]http://youtu.be/_QPEwD5z13g[/video]

Josh, jpm,

If you seriously want to do the reblade, I'd suggest contacting Sal directly. He's likely will at least listen & possibly allow for a reblade to have the spydiehole again. I seriously think he likes his customer be happy and not shy away from experimenting. I know designer who collaborated with them usually gets the permission to use the spydiehole.

A bit of OT (sorry Luong) but I myself have been wishing Luong offering re-HT as standard service ;)

Chiral; Twindog; foofie - thanks :thumbup:

jpm2 - I just shot this video of M4 65.5rc to show damage mode when out-of-bound/designed usage happened.... Blade designed for pressure cuts but I induced edge damage by chopping beef rib bone.

Truncated/shortened video: 6m 9s
[video=youtube_share;_QPEwD5z13g]http://youtu.be/_QPEwD5z13g[/video]

Great testing once again Luong! Can't wait to get my m4 blade off the ground, but too many orders to stay on top of haha

Wow, this is a cool thread, even though most of it sails over my head.

Luong re-HT'd a big 3V chopper of mine that was chipping during ordinary use. I've used that chopper hard since and no chipping at all. Amazing heat treat, especially a re-HT, which can be hard.

I've also had Josh regrind a blade for me to turn a ZT 0562 into the slicer it was supposed to be.

Costs could be difficult to control in reblading, but you might find a lot of demand. I know I'd like to reblade my Rukus with 3V.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing Josey! It is certainly exciting stuff.

Chris "Anagarika";16995512 said:
Josh, jpm,

If you seriously want to do the reblade, I'd suggest contacting Sal directly. He's likely will at least listen & possibly allow for a reblade to have the spydiehole again. I seriously think he likes his customer be happy and not shy away from experimenting. I know designer who collaborated with them usually gets the permission to use the spydiehole.

A bit of OT (sorry Luong) but I myself have been wishing Luong offering re-HT as standard service ;)

Good idea Chris, not sure how I would do that directly though without posting a thread in their forum maybe.

Great testing once again Luong! Can't wait to get my m4 blade off the ground, but too many orders to stay on top of haha

Thanks for sharing Josey! It is certainly exciting stuff.

Good idea Chris, not sure how I would do that directly though without posting a thread in their forum maybe.

If you call the normal number you can get Sal or Eric's direct line from the directory.

Josh,

Try sending Sal email from the forum engine ;)
And since you're paying member, a PM perhaps?

Luong,

You seems to be back in full swing, glad too know!:cool:
Nice blade! :D

Last edited:
I just test dropped tip of a CWF HT 1.2 64rc 52100 blade onto concrete from 4ft high. I thought, tip would break off a little but hey - tip only bent and dent a little :D

5.6 oz blade
ptzbszI.jpg

CPM M4 65.5rc 2.6 oz
At 4 & 5 ft high, it didn't damage much, so 6+ft it went tip down ;)
gFXHrhE.jpg

D2 65.5rc 2.6 oz
fsVHlzW.jpg

Last edited:

CWF HT 1.25 M4 65+rc would be an excellent candidate. M2 has high potential but I need to tinker more before compare against M4.

What would be hardest tasks you throw at this blade? And of course your expectation/want of the edge afterward?
My blades draw and pressure cut small stranded steel cables like found in shielded and armored electronics and electrical cables. These steels range from 18 gauge (0.04"/1mm) to 10 gauge (0.1"/2.5mm).
They draw and pressure cut into grade 5 nuts and bolts, not intentionally, but that's what is under the substance I cut, there's no avoiding it.
They cut through thin sheet metal, scrape corroded electrical connectors, scrape all sorts of hardened substances from metal tags, etc.
I also use the tip to pick and pry hardened and baked on substance from small areas, and to scribe marks.

The same blade will also cut apples, steak, prep food, open envelopes, clean fish/squirrel/deer, clean finger nails, trim toe nails, and perform minor surgeries.... but it won't do any chopping. :)

Good call! M2 & M4 are well-match your intended usage.

I've a rather large M2 blade with CWF HT 1.0 66rc. Well, in search of good balance working strength+toughness this blade is getting much smaller. I did a lot of chopping because I can't induce visible failure with pressure/draw cut. As I expected, M2 has/shown better keen apex stability than M4 due to finer carbide size and lower carbide volume. Here is the poor thing

Edit to add: chop (not baton nor tap through) a 16d nail (with hard backing) is quite challenging with a 15 dps edge <= umm, is it or my ht needs improvement?

My blades draw and pressure cut small stranded steel cables like found in shielded and armored electronics and electrical cables. These steels range from 18 gauge (0.04"/1mm) to 10 gauge (0.1"/2.5mm).
They draw and pressure cut into grade 5 nuts and bolts, not intentionally, but that's what is under the substance I cut, there's no avoiding it.
They cut through thin sheet metal, scrape corroded electrical connectors, scrape all sorts of hardened substances from metal tags, etc.
I also use the tip to pick and pry hardened and baked on substance from small areas, and to scribe marks.

The same blade will also cut apples, steak, prep food, open envelopes, clean fish/squirrel/deer, clean finger nails, trim toe nails, and perform minor surgeries.... but it won't do any chopping. :)

Last edited:
Good call! M2 & M4 are well-match your intended usage.

I've a rather large M2 blade with CWF HT 1.0 66rc. Well, in search of good balance working strength+toughness this blade is getting much smaller. I did a lot of chopping because I can't induce visible failure with pressure/draw cut. As I expected, M2 has/shown better keen apex stability than M4 due to finer carbide size and lower carbide volume. Here is the poor thing

M2 was my blade steel of choice for almost 20 years. Before that was my own hand ground m35/m42/t42 fixed blades. It was the tasks described earlier that led me to these types of steels so many years ago.
M4 is very good and performs well, but there's a few things about M2 that cause me to prefer it 1st. The bolded part above is one of those things.
I was disappointed it was discontinued in production knives.

Back