1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Help with acronyms

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Warp, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Warp

Warp

Jul 18, 2009
    I give up. There isn't a sticky here for it and I keep seeing acronyms all over in threads when searching and reading but nobody ever explains what they stand for.

For example, when talking about how to sharpen a knife, what the hell is dps?

What is an inclusive angle?

Even in threads or posts that are linked as answers to sharpening questions it seems to just be assumed you know what the acronyms mean...frustrating

Feel free to throw as many acronym definitions as possible. Surely there is a thread somewhere?

2. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    DPS is the degrees per side. If I were to say 30 degrees inclusive that would mean both sides added up. So that case it would be 15 degrees per side.

3. -Corey-

-Corey-

May 29, 2015
    You're on top of it rycen. I knew there was a thread in tech support somewhere but you already posted it. I still run across standard text messaging acronyms that have me scratching my head sometimes even though I should know them by now.

4. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2016
    dps degrees per side
    inclusive both bevels combined (40 inclusive means 20 per side)

One not mentioned yet here:

18 dps with a 20 "micro" means 18 degrees per side with a 20 degree micro-bevel (basically a teensy edge on the tip of your primary edge)

5. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    If you want to really twist your mind, visit the Busse forum. Acronyms abound!

6. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2016
    You said it. I'm still trying to figure out a ton of them.

7. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I stopped bothering with that years ago. I've started just making up what I decide they stand for. Not sure why people get so excited about their Naturally Motivated Bowel Movements, but hey, to each their own.

8. shinyedges

shinyedges Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Bwhahaha, now that's funny!

9. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 6, 2000
    Since these questions seem to be about sharpening, I'm moving the thread to Maintenance.