Hey, why is your clay hardened blade so much $$$?

Now I know why we never see a finished knife on the forums from you. Geez!
I am impressed!

-Page

Nick I am in awe of the worked you showed off in this thread. I don't say that lightly. Awesome is very over used these days but not by me. You don't know how bad I want to own one of your knives right now. Thank you so much for sharing. I really want to give your methods a try some day. I still need to fight wanting to run before I can walk in the area of knife making.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Nick I am in awe of the worked you showed off in this thread. I don't say that lightly. Awesome is very over used these days but not by me. You don't know how bad I want to own one of your knives right now. Thank you so much for sharing. I really want to give your methods a try some day. I still need to fight wanting to run before I can walk in the area of knife making.

Thanks again!

Jeff

A most approriate adjective here. The finished product:

orig.jpg

Roger

Wow, the knife is what I expected, superb, but man! So is that sheath. Who made that sheath, if I can ask?

Dave

Beautiful work Nick! Ive 'dabbled' with polishing hamon enough to fully appreciate what you have got there, and the work involved.

Im pretty sure it was Don Fogg who said (to paraphrase) 'enjoy each step of the journey', but ive nearly had myself in tears when you have to go back 5 steps to go forward one!

I find it fascinating that the only way to show what was created in less than a second can take so much time, care and patience. One day I hope to have the maturity to do it properly!

Patternwelding is fun, and ive kinda got the hang of it, but for me it just doesnt compare to that magical glimpse of looking 'into' the steel.

Again, amazing work!

Its the knid of thought that crosses you mind when your hands are numb, and fingers wrinkled like a pensioners, and you promised you would be home 4 hours earlier but you just need to chase a scratch out!! :)

keep coming back for another looksy at the blade!

When you go back with the silicon carbide, are you just polishing the hamon/temperline, or the entire bevel edge to spine (minus the clip)?

I'M ONE KAT THAT NEVER WAS A FAN OF DAMASCUS. I CERTAINLY KNOW SOMETHING OF THAT SuBJECT HAVING BOUGHT ONE OF DON HASTINGS big bowies in damascus way back in the late 70s. the hamon work you do is some of the only artsy techniques that i would ever consider owning. simplicity in form & structure is more important to myself, but the hamon you show is simply fantastic.
dennis

Nick... I keep coming back to this thread every other day or so... I am so impressed with your workmanship, brother. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks guys! :)

The silicon carbide powder slurry is used over the entire blade, but most of the focus is on the hardened area of the blade.

I really don't think I've ever done a single one exactly the same... but this has become the basis for how I do it.

Thanks Rick, that really made my day!!! :)

Back