"Hillbilly Blood: A Hardscrabble Life

anyone watching this show? if so whats yall's opinion of the things they do? I live in the same area and some things look kinda fishy to me like a deer they caught in a trap but looked like it had been shot with something when they skinned it out. anyway what do yall think?

I like it.
I saw the long hair guy with a folks minimalist. Probably a CRkt.
They do a lot with a little I guess.

Doesn't the one dress a little Trendy to be a real Hillbilly? :D

137.jpg

I agree that not all of us hillbillies wear bib overalls everyday but these boys ain't as hard up as this show would have us believe at least it doesn't look that way based on the looks of their trucks.one of these guys has a very nice survival Channel on YouTube wish they had brought more of that stuff into the show

I just think the long haired guy sure has a lot of body in his hair. It has a nice sheen for hardscrabble living! Just my opinion. LOL!

Ever see videos of Inuit these days? They don't dress in sealskins anymore. :eek:

True.

I'm just saying, the Fancy dresser on the TV show, doesn't look anything close to the hardcore, living with hard times mountain people I see in this neck of the woods. I mean, the man is even talking without subtitles. :D

What's a real hillbilly? I may qualify.
I'm with you 'Ol Bud...I was born a HillBilly & I guess I will always be a HillBilly ;) I like the show....it's got alot of good stuff in it but I don't think the Spencer (Long Hair Guy) is as "HillBilly" as he lets on.

this is the same guy that has a vid on youtube about flint knapping with fire and water.:rolleyes:

fake reality TV.

I'll bet money that snaring deer in North Carolina isn't legal.:eek:

Last edited:
I will say, I watched the show and would watch it again. It was entertaining, more so than, the evening TV news. :D

I watched a few episodes. Entertaining show, but got tired of the manufactured "situations" the two of them got into. For instance, their car "broke down" and they had to spend 2 days walking back home, doing some survival stuff on the way. Oh, so the camera and sound crew with them just happened to have two days worth of food, water, tents, sleeping bags, ect. to follow them in the woods, when they were originally just following them home from the store or something. Maybe I missed it, but there was no mention of just calling someone for a ride - and I doubt that someone with a survival Youtube channel doesn't have a cell phone.

Some of the stuff on the show is good, but I don't think that they need to create "drama" to make the show interesting - just film them doing what they do.

137.jpg

Looks like the trust-fund kids who hang around Toas and dress like hippies. "Trustafarians"

A word that combines Trust-Fund with Rastafarian. A well to do hippie type person that is not encumbered by a job and usually has hair matted into dreadlocks. While not especially materialistic they have resources that enable them to attend a multitude of events such as Burning Man, all forms of jam band concerts, enviromential protests and the like.

:D

I have relatives living harder than these gentlemen.

One of those newsies did a series once on Appalachia, good glimpse. Been to few hollers along the Tenn./ NC line that take you back a few years. Best not to take pictures of people and houses there.

LOL about the subtitles, I have a few kin that I have trouble understanding if I have not been around them for a time.

Grandpa used to tell me of living in Grayson County, Virginia during the Depression. Them were hard times.

Bill

I saw the first few shows, didn't much care for it ... too contrived as has already been mentioned. I do seem to remember something in the opening show about 'Spencer' not being a local and more of a hippie/'back to the land' kind of guy with a good education although I may be wrong. I'm old and the memory fades.

I was watching the episode where they were making hand made knives to sale or trade. they never really gave you a very good look at the knives they made.

I have up for trade in the Exchange: I have a hand full of unhusked new in shell Black Walnuts. Looking to trade for a NIB Umnumzaan with original pivot. :D

I haven't watched the show as I don't watch tv other than The Walking Dead, but, I'm pretty familiar with the mountains of NC, since I have lived here all my life (except during college), and there is nowhere in this fine area that's 2 days walk from any sort of civilization! Must be some sort of geographical oddity or something...

Oh, and 555, my mom, who's 73 picked up 17 buckets of black walnuts over monday & tuesday, so that should get me at least 2 Umnums!:eek:

Back