1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Hoosier Axe & Kentucky Baltimore Axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 12, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    I picked up this one off of e'bay last month. A Snow & Nealley "Our Best" axe. I believe this is a Hoosier pattern. I've never owned one before. I cleaned it up using an angle grinder and flap sander pads. Was able to file away the big dents in the bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also used the angle grinder on this Belknap Bluegrass - I think its a Kentucky Baltimore pattern.

[​IMG]

2. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    those turned out pretty nice...

ive got an old keen kutter in the kentucky baltimore pattern. i think that it will make a good chopper, but ive got to hang it first...

if nothing else, they look good :D

3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I like the look of that Hoosier. With a 36" handle and some file work it would make one heckuva chopper.

4. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Edge filed and cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    Those are sweet cooper. I really like the hoosier and the job you did on it.

6. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Hung the Hoosier today on a 28" handle. It chops real sweet. Strong deep cuts. Still might work the edge a little bit to get it sharper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012

That's real nice. I like that forge welded eye.

8. VintageAxe

VintageAxe Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Those are great! I think that's the first hoosier pattern I've ever seen. How much does that thing weigh? It looks huge.

9. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't weight it before hanging it but my guess is 3 1/2 or 4lbs. It's pretty well balanced considering how big the bit is.

10. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Only other hoosier I've seen is in this picture. Not a common pattern I think.

[​IMG]

11. nickzdon

nickzdon

Mar 3, 2011
    Classic workbench!

12. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Check out how wide that bit is and how skinny the haft is. They really did slim a haft down well back in the day.