Horizontal Sheath for a Buck 112 - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really wonderful tutorial, Gary, thanks so much for sharing it with us. One question, though. When you make slipjoint sheaths, do you do anything to make sure that the pressure of the leather as you're forming it doesn't cause the blades to get off-center over time? Or has it not been an issue for you?

Thanks,

James

Thanks James,
As to your question regarding the pressure on the blade when forming
I'm not pressing DOWN as hard on that area, if I feel the blade moves too
much, I slip a thin layer of leather on the one side of the blade so it can't
move down, keeping it a bit more stable.

Again these sheaths are for use and I'd not place safe queens within them.
G2

your work is very inspirational sir...when i see your work all the confusions in my mind fade away....I am good with wooden sheaths, i will also try to make a leather sheath
Thank you for the unintentional support

Thank you Nair, of course this particular thread was quite intentional
and actually a lengthy process of recording it all down, as best as I could.

Wooden sheaths are pretty nice too! Would love to have you make a new
thread that shows some of your work, possibly some steps you take to
create might also inspire others to give that a try!

G2

Gary you make it look so easy. I'm going to make a sheath for a battle hawk I just aquired. I will use some of the techniques you did and if comes out half as good as yours did I will be happy. Thanks for sharing.

What a great tutorial with excellent pics! Always a pleasure watching a true craftsman. Thank you for sharing your knowledge & skills.

Can you tell me what size of thread you are using on this project please.
It looks much larger than what I have access to in the few leather shops in town.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks guys and Mike, the thread I have was bought from Weaver Leather a long time ago;

IMG_0504.jpg

Not sure the size it is, but the info is shown above,
G2

Thats by far the best tutorial I have ever seen. Great pics and info thanks for sharing!!!!!

You're most welcome guys, one other reminder, that Weldwood REALLY holds nicely!
Loving the grip that the cement performs so well, it sinks into the leather a lot better
than the barge ever thought about doing! and for a lot better price too!!!
G2

any of you gents
build a similar sheath with
Spring clip vs Belt loop
and i need a Flap with snap or magnetic clasp

thanx in advance

Absolutely stunning sir! Tremendous detail both the walk-through and the sheath (obviously). Thank you for taking the time to share

Thanks guys and Bill you might want to post a separate thread asking about clips on sheaths.

I sometimes get the request for flap sheaths, not partial to doing flaps myself, as I try
to make the knife fit secure on it's own, but they can be a necessary thing.

One person asked for a flap on his bali sheath, here are some shots of that sheath
a bit more care and work involved in order to make that happen, as the internal area
needs more room for the snap inside and the leather that covers the snap, so when
I wrap the knife in plastic I will also add a layer of leather on the knife to make up that
difference there will be later on. and of course the middle layer of leather now has
the flap extending out so you have to be VERY careful on the work and placement of it.

bali_flap1.jpg

bali_flap2.jpg

bali_flap3.jpg

Thanks again guys,
G2

Great WIP! I've actually read through it a few times trying to psych myself up to trying one. I am ready to make an attempt, but I am not sure what "type" of leather to buy. I go to the Wickett & Craig website, but being new to working with leather I am at a loss as to what I need specified. Any help would be appreciated. I was looking for say 1-2 sq ft.

Thanks Carl, well, when I call them I always say send me what you did the last time ;)
it's seconds so there are some marks and holes but still a lot of good material there.
since I'm not making things that need one large area, it's not been a problem.
You can feel free to tell them I sent ya and to have them look up what I bought and
see if they can get you a smaller piece, not sure on that part, usually I get a hide in
two thickness, 6/7 oz and 7/8 oz one for the top section one for the lower belt section.
G2

Thanks Carl, well, when I call them I always say send me what you did the last time ;)
it's seconds so there are some marks and holes but still a lot of good material there.
since I'm not making things that need one large area, it's not been a problem.
You can feel free to tell them I sent ya and to have them look up what I bought and
see if they can get you a smaller piece, not sure on that part, usually I get a hide in
two thickness, 6/7 oz and 7/8 oz one for the top section one for the lower belt section.
G2

Thanks for the quick response, and keep up the excellent work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back