1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How about a Machax XL?

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Daniel L, May 11, 2012.

1. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    I just got my Machax and it's kinda..... small. I like that it's compact, light and fast, but can't help wondering what an "XL" version with an 11"/12" blade would be like.

I'd keep the same thickness but the extra length will add some oomph.
    Or getting to close to a Patrol Machete?

2. C_Tanner

C_Tanner

Feb 21, 2011
    Then it wouldn't be a Machax.

3. MrKnifekid

MrKnifekid

Aug 1, 2011
    That would be an RBK, my friend.

4. UCPOPO

UCPOPO Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Or a little like a BK6 Patrol Machete....

[​IMG]

5. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2010
    I agree. I come from HI Kukris and the Machax just didn't do it for me. A 1/4 thick version would be nice.

6. Greybush

Greybush Banned BANNED

Feb 14, 2012
    i like the size, but a 1/4" would be a sweet thickness....wouldn't be as fast, but damn what a wrecking machine...

7. B.Mauser

B.Mauser KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 22, 2011
    I would buy a huge machax...But I would also buy a keychain machax so ...there you go.

8. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    mmmm, big knives.

9. Greybush

Greybush Banned BANNED

Feb 14, 2012
    I have one that's just a little bigger than a keychain....

[​IMG]

10. The Warrior

The Warrior Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Either that, or that's a big ass lighter. ;)

11. Greybush

Greybush Banned BANNED

Feb 14, 2012

;) its "that"

12. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Who needs a firesteel when you have a quart of butane?

Keychain machax: awesome.

11.5" machax: awesome. But maybe the angle would have to be adjusted.

13. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I made an 18" machax. It's going with thrill to the Gathering for some feedback on how well the heat treat holds up. I didn't do any finishing work, so it's not pretty, but should give you an idea of what a mega machax might look like.

[​IMG]

14. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    That just arrived in my hands today. I APPROVE! That is the size a Machax NEEDS to be IMO!

I can't wait to destroy some trees with it, do a lil testing. But so far, great work Crimson!

15. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2011
    You mean like one of these?

[​IMG]

16. Greybush

Greybush Banned BANNED

Feb 14, 2012
    yes, just like that...and now I'm jealous....

17. thrillbilly

thrillbilly Banned BANNED

Apr 16, 2011
    yeah, 1/4'' of Machax would be a beast, especially 18'' of 1/4'' Machax!

and it would make a handy-dandy boat anchor too

18. Kabarcamper

Kabarcamper

Dec 31, 2011
    Now that would be handy, I like

19. Skystorm

Skystorm A Cow Flayin' Sheath Making Angry Gnome Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2011
    I dunno if they would make enough money off of those, since there are only so many Ogres in the world capable of lifting that repeatedly :D

There is a hugefrigginmungous difference between swinging the camilluls and kabar bk-4's. Out of the box the kabar chops better with its thinner profile but I think if you convexed the camillus it would rip through stuff. If not, well you can still have fun just beating the hell out of things with it instead. Kind of like the brute, but better.

20. gunknifenut

gunknifenut

Jun 9, 2006
    I havn't received my Machax yet, its en route, so I will have to wait and see what I think. It looks like a nice size to me, but I just don't know.
    I still think that a BK2 , 1/4 thick knife with an 8 inch blade is a "must be made" knife. I think Ethan and Kabar would cash in on it, and I would buy 2 or 3. Now that would be a "survival" knife. Ethan's really great handle with my favorite Becker blade stretched out...that would be something to see, and use!