1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How Can a Milling Machine Be Used For Knife Making

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Mike Morehouse, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Mike Morehouse

Mike Morehouse

Jun 27, 2009
    I have an opportunity to get a Bridgport milling machine from work. The condition of it is good and tight but it is missing a motor. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle bringing it home and putting a motor on it.

Other than the obvious uses like milling slots in guards and drilling holes what are some of the things that a mill can be used for in knife making?

2. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency

Jun 28, 2007
  3. Ang_Panday

Ang_Panday

Jan 10, 2006
  4. oilburner

oilburner

Dec 6, 2009
    Yep, now that I've just gotten started in this knife making stuff, I've got a small list of ways I'd like to try to use my mill... The grind angle on the blade, a blood groove with a ball mill perhaps, making a plate to bolt down my handle scales to to try some fancy machining, I'm sure the more you use the mill, the more you will think of "out of the box". Mark.

5. gixxer

gixxer

Sep 21, 2006
    it is very much worth bringing home, you will be using it for all kinds of knifemaking stuff. Especially if all you have to do is buy a motor, I envy you.

6. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Snap it up man !

7. Mike Morehouse

Mike Morehouse

Jun 27, 2009
    Thanks for the help guys. After I polish up my skills making fixed blades I can see myself using the mill to make folders. Now I have to put a plan together to get the mill to my house.

8. tntbegg

tntbegg

May 27, 2003
    Don't listen to these other guys!!! :confused:Its totally useless.....let me have it....I could use an extra coat rack in the shop!!!!;)

Tanya

9. montana guy

montana guy

Dec 18, 2009
    When you can, get one of these, in a 4 jaw if you can afford it. If you cannot you can make a small clamp/vise that will hold your knife in a 3 jaw. These are nice because you can set the degree of the cut perfectly and then rotate 360 degrees and have the same cut on the other side.
    [​IMG]

10. Mike Morehouse

Mike Morehouse

Jun 27, 2009
    Tod n' Tanya, it is going to be a coat rack for a little while until I get it up and running.:mad:

Montana guy, that is a great idea but right now my practice is a little more traditional for putting my bevels on my blades. However this technique can be used to other things with a knife like tapering tangs.

11. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Drop a line to Nathan the Machinist on the knifemakers forum here he made a Skinner with Osage Orange scales that was super sharp and it was all done in a machine shop on a millin' machine I believe.

Hell of a guy, hell of a knife.

12. 65535

Mar 14, 2007
    If you need some help with the machine and motor head over to candlepowerforums.com machining/modifying section some guys know a lot about motors, a VFD and motor is a great choice for a nice mill.

13. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Fixed it for ya...

14. Bama

Bama KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 1, 2009
    ^^^ I was going to let it go.Lol