1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How come the Street Beat gets no love?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jasperjb, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    Everyone loves the Izula by ESEE but there's never any talk about the Spyderco Street Beat?
    I love my street beat, personally.
    How come it's not very popular?

2. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    The price would be one aspect, and the designated use is another. Spyderco and ESEE operate in completely different markets. It's like comparing Busse to Great Eastern Cutlery, yes they both make knives but the use is hardly interchangeable. Spyderco is not in the "chopper/woods knife" market, they they do and have offered a few pieces but nothing tht has been consistent year after year. Just like ESEE Doesn't offer Folders in a variety of steels.

3. nickortizzle1035

nickortizzle1035

Dec 30, 2009
    the streebeat is a cool knife, but i just never got around to getting one.

4. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    The Izula is $40 and the Street Beat is $145. You can get several Izulas or Scrapyard Scrapivores (SR101) for that price. The materials and designs are very different. I wouldn't buy the SB because it's $145 for a small fixed blade and the design doesn't appeal to me.

5. claymoore

claymoore Banned BANNED

Dec 25, 2011
    Price, is why i don't own 1.
    Clay

6. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    If I could afford it right now I would love one. I've had my eye on it for awhile. It will probably be the next EDC fixed blade I'd get.

7. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Anybody have some comparison pics of an Izula and a Street Beat they could post?

8. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    Sorry, I don't have an izula. I can post pics of my Street beat though if you'd like. I can put it next to a military, salt, zt350, etc.

9. Goosey

Goosey

Mar 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    You're the hero BF needs, but doesn't deserve.
    They're quite similar, except the Street Beat is more of a bowie.

11. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    tried one out in a passaround not too long ago, great design but the price was way to far to compete with the above.

12. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    The street beat was my first serious knife and I got it as a present. I really think it's worth it imo.

13. viper89

viper89 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Well for me, price is a big factor but I do hope to own one...eventually

14. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    It gets love in this house! I've been rockin' it for years now.

Great knife. Not so great sheath.

I had to have an aftermarket sheath made for it.

15. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    I really dig the sheath, not sure why no one likes it! :O

16. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    I liked it at first too. But after a while it became loose and the knife started to rattle around. Started to feel cheap and I couldn't trust it to hold the knife anymore. I do however love the "G" clip.

Here's the sheath I had made.
    [​IMG]

17. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    Now that's a beauty! Who made it and how much was it? Is it kydex?

18. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    For me it's definitely the price. I love my Spyderco's but the fixed blades they've put out in the last few years have been overpriced imho.

I've wanted a streetbeat for a while but I just can't justify spending $150 bucks for a small fixed blade with micarta handles, and a kydex sheath.

19. frontline29

frontline29

Oct 7, 2008
    Thank you.
    I can't tell you who made it as he was banned. His work was great, but he was a deadbeat business man.
    Its a great sheath, made out of concealex and cost me around 30$ if I remember correctly.
    I had him put the two holes on the bottom of the sheath so I could also use it with a mercharnes.

20. jasperjb

jasperjb

Jul 24, 2012
    Why are all the best makers bad businessmen? Like TuffThumbz. He's been banned here but his mods are great!