1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How do I clean ceramic sharpening rods?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by PegLegPeat, Dec 28, 2011.

1. PegLegPeat

PegLegPeat

Sep 19, 2009
    I have a Lansky sharpening system that uses ceramic rods in a V set up. The finer set of rods were originally white but are now steel grey all around, and do not seem to work as well as they used to. Does anyone have any experience with cleaning these? I thought about soap and water, but I am afraid that the powdered steel imbedded in them will rust and cause bigger problems. Vinegar or another acid of some sort maybe? Thanks for the help in advance.

Peat

2. David Loukides

David Loukides KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 17, 2006
    Ajax or comet, hot water and paper towels works for me.

3. Jason Fry

Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    I always clean my lansky stones with Dawn and water. No rusting problems. Can't see how the ceramic would be any different.

4. FTR-14c

FTR-14c Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Soft Scrub with a magic eraser after every use, huge difference. Ajax or Comet will the same.

5. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    Commet or bar keepers friend and a green scrubby pad

6. shotgunner

shotgunner

May 19, 2010
    Dont use agressive abrasives. I use a synthetic rubber eraser as a stone cleaner. PM me your address and I'll mail you a free stone cleaner!!!

7. tinwiskers

tinwiskers

Jul 10, 2008
    I have used ajax/comet with a green scotch brite pad until I found the Rust Eraser and I use that between sharpening and I don't even have to get them wet using the rust erasers

8. barrabas74

barrabas74

Jul 27, 2005
    I also use the magic erasers. Cheap, small, works...no mess.

9. biffo911

biffo911

May 23, 2013
    Hi, I have successfully cleaned ceramic sharpening rods back to new condition by immersing them in a wine bottle full of brick acid ( Hydrochloric acid ) and leaving for 24 hours.Works a treat,dissolving all the metal particles even stainless.
    You can easily get this acid from a builders supplies.
    Hope this helps.
    Biffo

10. hookskis

hookskis

Jun 24, 2016
    I have experimented with many different ways to remove the 'fill' on my ceramic sharpening tools and so far the one that worked the best is my ultrasonic cleaner I use for watch part cleaning. I know the first thing you all are going to say is "What! now I have to buy another tool!" Not saying that necessarily. Ultrasonic does its unique agitation but what I thing did the most for the cleaning is the solution. It's an ammonia and paint thinner mix best I can tell but the exact ingredients are not listed.
    What I found is if you soak the ceramic rods the mix will lift out much of the imbedded particles. Also the aforementioned Comet or any tile cleaner will work but you just need to scrub till all the material or most of it is removed. I tried one of those rare earth magnets and although you would think the particles are of iron oxide origin they are not. A good knife blade is virtually all stainless steel. That's my two cents.