1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How do you decide which EDC to carry?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cutitout, Oct 12, 2012.

1. cutitout

cutitout

Aug 12, 2012
    I have acquired a number of great knives recently, each of which I love and want to carry everyday. I don't want to carry several knives at one time, some of them are pretty beefy. I am retired so I don't have to go to work making it easier to carry what ever I like. I live and dress pretty casual and don't really use my knives hard, I just love the way they feel in pocket and hand. Any one of my knives can accomplish what every other knife can do regarding blade and overall size. I have mostly big folders, some examples are Buck 110 Hunter, Buck Alpha Hunter, ZT 0350, ZT 0300, ZT 0560, Grayman Satu, I'm considering getting a Grayman Dua just because I love my Satu so much.

I have a hard time favoring any of them because I love them pretty equally. I could just rotate like every week or month but then I would want one that I left behind. Maybe I should assign each a number and put some corresponding numbers in a hat and pick it every day and that will be the knife I carry. What do you do? I know I am not alone in this. I have seen the collections and read your comments of collecting knives because you just want it (not because you need it). Yes, I mean you.

Just curious, how do you resolve this dilemma?

2. diced

diced

Sep 26, 2012
    I have a large quantity of folders that just never get carried. I usually end up carrying the same knife everyday (Kershaw Storm II) It was cheap when I found them on clearance and bought 25 of them. I will carry one for a while and if someone helps me out with something I will give them my knife as a gift and open another one. I likely would not do that with a ZT or other high end folder, but I picked the Storms up cheap and I carry one everyday because they hold and edge well, like the recurve blade and the weight,thin profile and handle ergos of the knife. But if were to switch them up I would probably do it monthly or seasonally I guess...

3. T.L.

T.L.

Sep 20, 2012
    I open up all my knives and drop them on the ground all at once. Whichever one sticks into my foot, it comes with me.

4. cutitout

cutitout

Aug 12, 2012
    That's what I call tough love :D

5. theHobbyist

theHobbyist Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2012
    I've got a 12 year old spyderco that comes with me everywhere... I had an Emmerson that I would switch between but broke the blade in half trying to baton through a steel drum =\...

6. The Logical One

The Logical One Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2011
    I open my pelican case and take a look..... usually within seconds I would be like, "hmm today I feel like carrying THIS one".

7. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    My little Victorinox Rambler is always on my keys. Next, I'll have a slippie in my left front pocket (usually my alox Vic Pioneer.) The one-hander clipped to my right front pocket is determined by where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and what I plan to do for the day...

8. viper89

viper89 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I usually pick mine based off where I am going. If the knife is suitable for the place I go if I use it [ie work, school, stores, etc]. Although other times I just have to carry a certain knife and to the pocket it goes :)

9. Reasoned1

Reasoned1

Oct 11, 2011
    You never will resolve this dilemma...

10. GCG199

GCG199

Apr 26, 2001
    Yeah, the more knives one buys, the more difficult it gets to figure this one out.

I find it best to rotate them out as needed.

11. jamesmtl

jamesmtl

Jan 12, 2011
    Newest one gets pocket time for a while then it's all about matching what I'm wearing.

12. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    I usually just grab whatever I feel like carrying. Sometimes I switch it up multiple times a day, sometimes I'll carry the same knife for a week. I do take into account what I'm wearing or where I'm going however. I wouldn't carry a ZT of any kind in dress pants, and I wouldn't take a benchmade 707 on a camping trip.

13. AnthonyHelmsley

AnthonyHelmsley

Jan 27, 2011
    I just look at all of mine and just pick which one i haven't carried in awhile and decide if i want to carry it, if not, i just pick another one and so on.

14. Hauling

Hauling

May 14, 2012
    Typically light and 3" blades for shorts or other dress pant type apparel. Heavier stuff, 3.5" blades, multi-tools, etc. for jeans and other work wear.

15. mantzao

mantzao

Jun 16, 2011
    + 1 :)

16. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    I pick the one that matches my shoes and handbag...

17. Steel130

Steel130 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2010
    I wake up and look at my knife table. Then grab what I feel like carrying.

18. fujita yuji

fujita yuji

Jul 12, 2008
    I always have a small folder in my wallet, an old Gerber Silverknight 200A shell handle.

Additionally I'll carry a 3.5in fixed blade depending on place to go or things to do.

19. Styg

Styg

Oct 3, 2012
    I settled on my Vic Super Tinker as my every day knife because I found the blades capable, the extra tools amazing, the size very comfortable to carry, and very few people ever give that "why do you have a knife?" crap after asking if anyone has a knife which does happen with my Spydercos. It's also a knife that I bought myself so I'm not too attached to it. I've gone through a few, gifting others to friends who now carry theirs every day. At 30 dollars, I don't want to lose one but I wouldn't cry if I did.

20. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member Gold Member Platinum Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I look at my stash at least a few times everyday, and pick what looks good. Its rare that I make it through the whole day with the same knife.