How does my Etch job look?

Prepping to strip this TGLB, using electro etching method, been at it for hours and melted through 2 alligator clips... Does this look deep enough?
20170606_221803_zpscrk6skoz.jpg

A: looks good, I'd say it's deep enough.
B: can't understand how it's taken hours and you've burned through clips?? Maybe you had a bad contact point..

Either way, looks nice!

A: looks good, I'd say it's deep enough.
B: can't understand how it's taken hours and you've burned through clips?? Maybe you had a bad contact point..

Either way, looks nice!
That is quite possible, I just have it grounded to the knife edge. is there a better way to ground it? btw I am using a 12 volt 2 amp wall adapter.

Yes of course, I will just need your credit card info for the shipping...
Sure thing I will have my agent email you now but please deposit the $1 billion Nigerian naira to my personal bank account first as we discussed earlier to confirm you are legit. Many thanks to you sir. Have a splendid day.

Not even close to deep enough.... Total fail on the etching... Should have went with acid I guess... To top that off the G10 looks faded and hazy now... Ugh... I thought the citristrip wasnt supposed to effect the scales?

I always taped my g-10 up before I applied the citri-strip. That Sucks. Never tried etching, I always removed the logo, it never bothered me. I wish someone would show how to etch a Busse logo.

There are tons of threads on etching on this forum, some did it with acid and some did electro... not sure why mine failed, I guess 2 amps wasnt enough... But then if I was running higher amps the alligator clips would have just melted in a minute or 2... All the stripping threads said the citristrip wouldnt effect the scales, thats why I didnt mask them... probably just some oil will fix them... anyways this is what I got after the process... Logo is nearly gone and will be after it gets blasted im sure. scales are not so bad after washing with dish soap but still a little faded...
20170607_023137_zpspbjzcv37.jpg
20170607_023149_zps36ydiljk.jpg
20170607_023142_zpsa2xb2vwx.jpg

TGLB's are just harder to etch regardless of method used. I have learned the hard way that different batches of INFI react a little different to etching. You wouldn't think so as INFI is INFI, yet some go deep in less than a day, and some take several days just to stay shallow with the same etching solution bottle used. :confused:o_O

TGLB's are just harder to etch regardless of method used. I have learned the hard way that different batches of INFI react a little different to etching. You wouldn't think so as INFI is INFI, yet some go deep in less than a day, and some take several days just to stay shallow with the same etching solution bottle used. :confused:o_O
Sounds about right, I thought I had it deep enough... Is there any way to get the Busse font and have the logo engraved or some other solution? Im not gonna cry if I lose it but it would be cool to have it regardless...

You can try to save it from there if you like. Either try some etching solution acid or just blast it from almost straight above until all surrounding coating is gone. Blasting the normal sideways method will eat at the logo, but more perpendicular angles to the blade will help deepen it just a tiny bit until the coating buffer is gone. After the coating is removed it won't matter much what you do as the metal will all be removed at the same rate when blasting. It should stay as long as you don't mill the surface down with too much sanding.

There is an engraver right in my area so I sent them an email with a pic of the logo for a quote and their recommendation for laser or traditional engraving... We will see what they say... The pawn shop queen shall be resurrected....

There is an engraver right in my area so I sent them an email with a pic of the logo for a quote and their recommendation for laser or traditional engraving... We will see what they say... The pawn shop queen shall be resurrected....

I'm guessing your voltage needs to be a little higher. I've been using two 9 volt batteries in series and my wires do not even get warm, and my etch is much deeper in minutes. Something else, are you getting a strong enough salt solution? I heat my water and desolve as much salt as I can, that really helps.

Last time I etched, I used a piece of copper stranded wire and wrapped the blade several times to make sure of good contact. I also only use a 9v battery from the dollar store and 4 alligator clips from hardware store. Usually only takes me 10-15 minutes to etch.

I've never electro etched but I have heard that the difference between using the positive or negative lead on the logo makes a big difference.

I stripped the tip of the blade. The taped the pos wire to the stripped area took the neg bare wire wrapped a cotton ball to it hooked up to a car battery. Took maybe 15 min and it was slightly deeper the i wanted on a chophouse

Back