1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How dull/dinged up can you stand your edge to be?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by KennyB, Sep 23, 2012.

1. KennyB

KennyB

Jan 19, 2010
    Lately I've been catching myself sharpening my knives over the littlebest bit of dulling or edge deformation. Basically if I can hold it under a flash light and see even the tiniest little glint of light I feel the urge to sharpen it to get the edge "perfect".

Anyone ever do this? How far from perfect do you let your knife get?

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    If it's not shaving sharp, I sharpen it.

3. 17pes

17pes

Dec 4, 2011
    I used to be fine as long as I had a working edge. I have a different mindset now. If it's not shaving, I'm hitting the Norton or the dmt's for a couple super light passes, and the strop to put a little polish on the bite.

4. Plasmio

Plasmio

Jun 20, 2012
    I don't even like the idea of my blades not being able to AT LEAST shred paper with ease.

5. KevinOubre

KevinOubre

Sep 6, 2011
    If it can't shave paper/hair and make a feather stick easily, it isn't sharp.

6. shunsui

shunsui Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I use it until it gets annoying. Then I sharpen it.

7. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25

May 14, 2012
    Same here, I just strop my knives that I use everyday and maintain a fine hair shaving edge. Usually that does the job in normal use.

8. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    if it doesn't cleanly slice phnebook paper its time to hit the hone or strop

9. OrdnanceBubbaUSMC

OrdnanceBubbaUSMC

May 23, 2004
    I usually just do a regular touch up without checking how dull it is. If the blade went into the dirt, took a hard impact, or someone else used it without me watching...then I check out the edge. You have to cut a fair amount of abrasive stuff to make anything above 440A actually dull.

10. Nullity

Nullity

Jul 28, 2002
    Same here.

11. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I used to obsess over my edge, but got over it. Now I've actually dialed back and just use my old Boy Scout carborunum stone and put a decent working edge on my knives. As long as it cuts, I'm happy, even if it has a few ding or dull spots on it. If it gets dull I'll sharpen it, but just to put a corse using edge on it. I don't bother anymore with tree topping shaving edges.

12. philwar

philwar

Mar 27, 2009
    Same here. Pretty anal about my edges. I am addicted to the look on people's faces when something just seems to melt when my blade touches it. :D

13. Justa

Justa

Jul 25, 2011
    If there is a hitch when slicing phone book paper, then it bothers me.

I dropped my gayle bradley and it hit a sidewalk edge down. I took the visible dings out right away but there was a tiny spot you could only see under magnification or feel on phone book paper (even then only going slow). I tried to leave it until the knife needed regular sharpening since it was only a small spot that didnt affect anything but it still annoyed me. I only lasted about a week before I sharpened the whole blade until the ding was removed and the bevel was even.

14. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    ^Best reason ;)

Seeing flat spots & when it doesn't shave my face clean is when I go back to stones/paper. Otherwise usually stropping will do.

15. Steel130

Steel130 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Same here. If I cant shave arm hair without digging my flesh. Or at a minimum slice receipt or phone book paper. It has to hit the stones.

16. Steel_Addiction

Steel_Addiction Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm not too anal about the sharpness, as long as it's still a good working edge it's good to go, but if there are dings and chips in the edge, that's where it starts to bother me, because it takes a while to get those out...

But there is something really nice about a good toilet paper slicing edge, straight off the edge pro...

17. KennyB

KennyB

Jan 19, 2010
    Heh, oh I forgot to mention the shaving thing...

Even if it shaves hair but I had to press like, AT ALL, I get irritated and feel the need to sharpen it. Then what usually happens is I shave off all my arm hair in the process! lol

18. me2

me2

Oct 11, 2003
    I usually try to wait until it won't cut typing paper, then sharpen it. I don't try to take out all the dings anymore. Even on my large choppers, that just eats up the blade. I say I try to wait. I usually don't make it.

19. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I sharpen a new knife as soon as I get.If I use it at all,I have to touch up the edge.

20. Humppa

Humppa Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I sharpen my knives razorsharp, so far. Unteil the knife is still cutting pattern in an easy way, it´s still ok. But when it rips through the paper it gets sharpened to the razorsharp edge. This with every knife I own.