1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How often do you cut things with your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jaime_lion, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

1. jaime_lion

jaime_lion

Jun 17, 2017
    So I am curious how often do you use your EDC knife to cut things? Out side of a self defense knife I do not carry a blade because I legitimately do not cut stuff. If I need stuff cut scissors are almost always within the area or I can wait 10 minutes till they are. I am not saying anything against carrying knives for every day tasks. I believe you should be able to carry whatever you want whenever and where ever. Even if you are carrying around a tactical wheelbarrow. So I guess this boils down to two questions.

1 How often do you use your EDC knife?

2 How often do you use your knife when scissors are not in the area?

Thanks

2. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    I use my knife everyday, there is always something that needs the be cut. At work cutting plastic sheeting or home opening boxes or working in the yard a knife is always a handy tool in my environment.

I don't really use scissors unless I need to cut paper or maybe some cloth, simply the wrong tool for the job most of the time.

Chris "Anagarika" and Pomsbz like this.
  3. Mo2

Mo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2016
    every day. some days more than others.

BK14 likes this.
  4. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    I carry a knife in case someone attacks me with scissors. :p

Seriously though, I use my knife pretty much every day in the office to open packages, cut cardboard, and other random things. I've even used my knife to cut paper with a pair of scissors in reach. About the only time I'll use scissors instead of a knife is cutting tags from clothes.

SpySmasher, 115Italian and palonej like this.
  5. Sergeua

Sergeua Basic Member Basic Member

May 1, 2016
    We had a thread about dumbest questions you've heard pertaining to knives. Your question number 2 makes the cut lol.

When you have a knife why would you wait around like a princess for someone to bring you scissors...

I will find something to cut every day, it's not an issue.

6. bloody_pawprint

bloody_pawprint Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I find something to cut every day. Being known as the knife guy, someone almost always needs something cut as well.

Cutting paper with a knife instead of scissors sometimes is just plain fun :rolleyes::p

7. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    Me too. I have found that because my wife also uses our kitchen knives and doesnt do anything to protect or maintain the edges, one of my many Spyderco Militaries (my oreferred edc) will out perform all but one of my kitchen cutlery by magnitudes. So if there was never an EDC task performed that day, there was likely a kitchen task. I buy them to use or ide edc scissors like the leatherman micra

8. EricV

EricV

Nov 19, 2008
    Every day. Its lunchtime here and I've cut two dozen zip ties, opened a few boxes, and cut some dried floor wax that was holding down a cable I needed to swap. Most scissors are fairly terrible at zip ties, and my intern was using the snips, but I'm just a pencil pushing IT guy and have a pretty constant need for a knife.

9. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I use a knife everyday. I cut stuff everyday. I despise scissors.

10. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I carry for work every day.
    Today I used my Caly ZDP to cut the tip off a slicone tube, cut up the box an exhaust fan came in, scored the roofing paper to cut a hole in the roof, trim the remaining roofing paper to seal around the newly installed exhaust......and that was the first couple hours today.
    My EDC works every day. Sure, I could use a razor knife, but what's the fun in that??
    I also look forward to getting a screaming edge back after work!!
    Yup, I am a knife knut.
    Joe

11. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Daily

12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    ... I even carry a knife in my "pajama" pockets. Every hour something is going under my knife :thumbsup:.

(Pajama in quote marks because they only serve to carry my knife from shower time to bed time :D)

Ray

13. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Nah, I just carry a knife to look cool! :D

Totally no other reasons.... :D

Gravy, palonej, cf1969 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mo2

Mo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2016
    you'd be surprised the amount of people that do that.

Gravy, Pomsbz and Lapedog like this.
  15. GasMan1

GasMan1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2015
    I use my knife nearly every day. Actually I use a knife alot more than I use scissors. Depends on what you're cutting I guess.

16. Sergeua

Sergeua Basic Member Basic Member

May 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    CUT. SHARPEN. REPEAT.
    Edge of tomorrow...

17. whitty

whitty Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Aug 25, 2005
    Everyday and multiple times a day! We do not allow scissors in our shop!

18. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Yeah you know, my Benchmade Mini-Grip in Baby Blue has loads of cool factor. Seriously, truth be told I use my fixed blades more than my folders and tend to just have my fixed blade laying around the house. Or in my pocket during the day outside the house....

19. Bigbobg

Bigbobg

Oct 1, 2011
    I use my knife every day. My wife uses scissors. Real men don't use scissors.

20. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I carry 3 kinds of scissors to do all of my cutting needs :p :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I use my edc blade and a couple of others daily to cut various items.

palonej likes this.