1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How often do you cut things with your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jaime_lion, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

1. Chippa

Chippa

Apr 20, 2017
    As a kid I realized it was the most useful thing to have on my person at all times, it wasn't until I started getting into torches that I realized they are a close second. Anything else I'm missing guys hahaha

2. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Yes!!!!!
    This guy is back!!!!

Go go gadget popcorn.

3. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Scissors. Ew.

so:
    1: Daily as in Every Day Carry
    2: Every time.

4. gazz98

gazz98

Sep 3, 2008
    Not sure why all the hate for scissors. I like to have scissors on my SAKs. My Explorer is my daily carry and depending on the job, I will choose the scissors over a knife.

I don't use my knife every day.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Lol love this guys threads. I use my knife everyday, but I am way more interested to hear how often @jaime_lion uses his knife for self defense.

Final Option and hexenjager like this.
  6. JD Bear

JD Bear

Aug 4, 2015
    Everyday, multiple times a day. Kind of odd to join a knife forum if you don't use your knife....

Bigbobg likes this.
  7. ToneGrail

ToneGrail

Aug 4, 2006
    I use my locking folder every day as soon as I get home from work to open mail.

I used my SAK more than a few times last for various things:

I used the bottle opener this past weekend to open a beer.
    I used the scissors to cut a callous of my pinky toe last week.
    I used the can opener to open a can of soup at work.
    I also used the scissors to trim my sideburns and cut a coupon.
    Last weekend my sister and her husband brought a bottle of wine which I opened with the corkscrew.
    I used the flat head screwdriver to open up one of my effects pedals to change the battery.
    I used the wire cutters on the pliers to cut the end off a guitar string.

8. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Everyday ... multiple times a day ... learned before I was 10 years old it's something everyone (back then they said every man) shouldn't leave the house without ... but as useful a tool as it is I"d be lost without one

And my only self defense using a knife would be when a Subway Sandwich gets unrulely and out of control threatening to get something on my shirt ... and I'll cut the crap outta that thing ...

Airborne 1 and hexenjager like this.
  9. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    I carry both scissors and knives, generally more of the latter than the former.

[​IMG]

I use them daily, no exception, both on the same day more often than not, as I don't like the looks I get if I cut my sandwich with scissors, or cut calluses and fingernails with a knife blade.

[​IMG]

YMMV, of course, but I'd have a hard time not finding a use for a knife or scissors every single day.

10. michaelm466

michaelm466

Mar 5, 2009
    I'd say on average 10-20 per day, scissors are always within reach because I carry a supertinker in my other pocket, but I get weird looks when I cut up an apple with my SAK scissors...

11. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    When ever I need.

The OP waits around ten minutes for scissors? I hope he is troll because if not that is just silly.

12. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Most every day to cut various things. I also have a pair of Milwaukee scissors for cutting shirts into rags and those clam packs that every thing comes in now a days.

13. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I carry both scissors and several knives every day. I need to use the scissors to cut my pants open to access the large fixed-blade knives I carry in my pockets.

I carry the scissors "scout style" in a custom kydex sheath I got from one of the makers on this very forum. :thumbsup:

hexenjager likes this.
  14. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    But do you run with them ?

colin.p and hexenjager like this.
  15. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I take more pictures of my knives than they get used:):D .

16. Sergeua

Sergeua Basic Member Basic Member

May 1, 2016
    OP is right Scissors > knife. Take scissors apart and you got TWO throwing knives. Or you use them in reverse grip for self defence with a nice retention ring. Keep your scissors sharp my friends. :D

hexenjager likes this.
  17. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    So you carry a knife for self-defense, despite having never been attacked.

But you won't carry a knife for general utility, despite the fact that you have on occasion needed a cutting tool for utilitarian purposes?

I work in an office and I still end up needing to cut something at least once a day.

tomhosang likes this.
  18. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    I carry a knife every day. I use my knife everyday. I only use scissors for cutting fabric

19. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I use my knife to cut things everyday, even though I always have scissors on me as well.
    I actually have 2 pairs of scissors on me right now ( a leatherman micra and leatherman fuse which has a little pair of scissors ), but a knife is my go to because scissors are not a substitute for a knife.
    Knives and scissors both exists for a reason, and neither can completely take the place of the other.

My advice to you is to buy yourself something like a 15$ Victorinox recruit to drop into your pocket. you'll realize how many things are easier to open with a knife rather than tear.
    If you chose to do things the hard way and wait till there's a pair of scissors around that's your choice, but you owe it to yourself to carry a small knife and realize how much better life is when your can be self sufficient by having you're own cutting tool on you at all times.

hexenjager likes this.
  20. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Only towards pizza places and away from laundromats. Anything else is too tiring and I have my mom drive me.

hexenjager likes this.