1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How to remove stripped torx screw?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by d.weglarz13, Sep 2, 2012.

1. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Hey guys. Got a bit of a problem. I was using loctite to tighten a small T6 screw, and i stripped it. Now, the hole for the bit is not even really torx anymore, more like an allen key shape, and the t6 is too small for it now. But, the next size up is too big, and the loctite is also really holding. What can i do to first loosen the loctite(red), and what can i do to get this screw loose? I tried filing down a t7 bit i think it was, and it fits, but not strong enough hold to put good pressure to loosen.
    Any ideas? Thanks a lot guys.

dave

2. R.Markus

R.Markus

Sep 17, 2000
    Heat will loosen the loctite.

As far as the screw, how much access do you have to it? Can you cut a flat into it with a hacksaw blade and unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver? If it's down in the handle of a small folder or something, this may be really tricky (but you already know that).

3. d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    yup, that is the tricky part. Maybe a dremel with a VERY small wheel? I don't know, i will see if i can find something small enough, but that could possibly work.
    dave

4. d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    yup, that is the tricky part. Maybe a dremel with a VERY small wheel? I don't know, i will see if i can find something small enough, but that could possibly work.
    dave

5. Matt Bufford

Matt Bufford

Apr 7, 2012
    the big box stores sell a little kit called easy out. it drills into the screw and uses a reverse threaded bit to back the screw out. since you have the locktite problem, use the heat as mentioned before and the kit should back it out no problem.

6. Allen R.

Allen R.

Nov 1, 2011
    this sounds crazy but try this before you spend any money first apply heat to loosen that loctite then find you a thick rubber band place the rubber band like over the screw so that your driver is contacting the rubber band and the stripped out screw, if the screw isn't too badly damaged then the rubber band will allow you to get that extra grip you need. on a side note, if you hafta go to the big box store pick up some blue loctite its much easier to "break" loose than the red

7. Allen R.

Allen R.

Nov 1, 2011
    i had badley stripped screws on a knife I can't remeber exactly what kind (i think it was a paramilitary 2 ) but dont quote me on that and i saw the rubber band trick on some DIY youtube channel i think and it worked!

8. woodwrkr221

woodwrkr221

Jan 28, 2011
    The tip of a large soldering iron applied to the screw head should get the screw hot enough.

9. d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    great. I will try to see about that easy out product, and that rubber band trick sounds like it may work too! I will let you guys know how it turns out...Thanks again

dave

10. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001
    Again, Loctite purple or blue is the appropriate threadlocker for the screw sizes used on knives ~ red is essentially permanent on screws smaller than #10.

11. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    400 F usually breaks loose loctite or epoxy.

12. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I regularly have to remove torx and allen screws that are stripped. I have a set of cheap torx and allen tips that I tapered slightly. I use the one that is the next size up and force the tapered end down into the stripped hole while turning. BTW, sometimes an allen wrench will work well in a stripped torx socket.

As suggested, the screw needs to be heated to break down the locktite. Use a soldering iron, or a piece of metal rod that you heat red hot in a flame, and then touch repeatedly to the screw. If the screw is in metal ( no plastic or wood scales), and a little heat won't hurt anything, just warm the whole object to 350F in the oven.

13. d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    Okay great! I will also taper another torx or allen to see if that works, i have tons of them. thanks again. But, would 350F be bad for the temper of the blade? Im guessing probably no where near the heat to ruin a temper, but what do i know? thanks

dave

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    400F wouldn't hurt it. Most likely, the blade was tempered around 450F.

15. d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    thank you

16. garyNV

garyNV

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you for posting the "rubber band" solution. That solution worked for me. Hope this positive feed back helps some one else.