1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

How to stonewash knives

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Gamerdude141, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Hi I want to know what I need to stonewash do I need a tumbler or something links would be very
    helpfull thank you for your time.

2. xmtgx

xmtgx

May 11, 2007
    Solo put gravel, soap, water and the blade in a thick plastic jar and put it in the washer or dryer which gave the blade a light stonewash. Most are done with a tumbler and ceramic media I believe though.

3. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    I thought the used tumblers and media like I use in cleaning cartridge cases, alter the medial to get the finish you want??

Try over in the knife makers section. :)

4. prime77

prime77

Oct 11, 2006
    I tried Solos method with varying degrees of success. First you darken the blade with Ferric acid then put the blade in a jar with some rocks and shake away. There is a big thread over on USN with some other guys results. Here is what my three knives look like after I was done with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    To do it with a tumbler would I just need a rock polisher or brass tumbler like from harbor fright and ceramic and where do you buy the ceramic from?

6. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    If you can find a jewlery making supply store specifically, they carryeverything you need to tumble. Including various kinds of media, tumblers, and other useful information.

7. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Ok thank you

8. cziv

cziv

Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks man - "jewlery making supply store" sounds expensive! :eek:

9. sgt244

sgt244

Mar 15, 2010
    I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, more then stonewashed it comes out looking like its just been scrapped along the road behind a truck for a couple miles on each sides...

Send it to a company or knife maker that will professionally do it for you... its worth the money instead of ruining your blade.. ;) but thats just my 2 cents if it matters at all..

10. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Thank you all for all your info

11. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Not at all. They do sell gold and silver sheets, rods, hollow tubes, etc. Jut about anything to solder or braze anykind of gold and silver jewlery. I used to make jewlery when I was a teenager, that is how I know they sell the stone for stonewashing. :)

12. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Do you need ceramic beads or cone shaped and etc

13. dslteck

dslteck

Sep 15, 2006
    I have an industral "tumbler" at my shop with new ceramic media, if you would like send me your blades and I will stone wash them free of charge.....sans shipping of course!!!!

14. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Do you have a business website for me to check out.

15. dslteck

dslteck

Sep 15, 2006
  16. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Wow never thought I would met people as nice as you what's your email sir

17. dslteck

dslteck

Sep 15, 2006
    krismit (at) comcast (dot) net

18. Gamerdude141

Gamerdude141

Jul 21, 2010
    Tch your asome the stonewash is great I'll put pics on your thread ASAP

19. dslteck

dslteck

Sep 15, 2006

Glad you like it ;)

20. So-Lo

So-Lo

Jun 12, 2006
    I tried the rocks from the driveway thing just for fun and it didn't work out so well. A small rock tumbler filled with ceramic media is the way to go!

I should delete the homemade stonewash video, it was a fail. :)