I did it with the help of the CRK forum

Awesome my friend.
I am happy that it worked out for you.
I use VHB tape when I do overlay bolsters. I was thinking about taking some thin material and just adhering it to the knife myself.
Or I was going to to a cross hatch on CNC with one of many patterns that are available.
I will have to see.

Two questions.
Where can I find a supply of cast designs like that for myself?
What brand of tape was is it 3M HP or something else?
Matt

The ship is a submarine (we call them boats) and the fish are dolphins. They are resting on the bow plains. The bow plains are what take you up or down. If things did not go as planed, and you got wet, it would be nice to have some dolphins around. :) You can google Submarine dolphins and get more info.

I'm going to make myself sound ignorant but why do you call them dolphins? I see a ship with a couple of fish on the sides. No dolphins.
Great idea! I'm sure others will follow your lead.[/QUOTE

]

WOW Bill, that turned out fantastic...:thumbup::D

Awesome job my friend.

The ship is a submarine (we call them boats) and the fish are dolphins. They are resting on the bow plains. The bow plains are what take you up or down. If things did not go as planed, and you got wet, it would be nice to have some dolphins around. :) You can google Submarine dolphins and get more info.

I'm going to make myself sound ignorant but why do you call them dolphins? I see a ship with a couple of fish on the sides. No dolphins.
Great idea! I'm sure others will follow your lead.[/QUOTE

]

BH, I might be wrong but here it goes. Those appear to be Mahi-Mahi, also known as dolphinfish. Not the sense of a porpoise as we often call porpoise dolphin.

You made me do a little research this some of what I found:

Two designs for the dolphins were submitted by the firm, but these were ultimately combined into a single design.[citation needed] It was a bow view of a submarine, proceeding on the surface, with bow planes rigged for diving, flanked by dolphins (in the form of artistically stylized heraldic dolphins), in a horizontal position with their heads resting on the upper edge of the bow planes.

The mahi-mahi or common dolphinfish[2] (Coryphaena hippurus) is a surface-dwelling ray-finned fish found in off-shore temperate, tropical and subtropical waters worldwide. Also known widely as dorado, it is one of only two members of the Coryphaenidae family, the other being the pompano dolphinfish.

Being referred to as a "dolphin"[3][4] causes it to be confused with the more widely known marine mammals called dolphins.

Hope this helps I know it did me.

BH, I might be wrong but here it goes. Those appear to be Mahi-Mahi, also known as dolphinfish. Not the sense of a porpoise as we often call porpoise dolphin.[/QUOTE]

Awesome Bill!! The Dolphins look great!! It will be very interesting to see how the VHB tape holds up!! You have probably started a new trend!!
All the best, Dave

Well it is done. I asked for help and I got it, this is a wonderful place. I wanted to have my submarine dolphins put on my large sebenza. I was going to have it inlayed. One nice member Haze said to not use them because if I lost the knife I would also loose my dolphins also, very true. Another member said to use VHB tape like CRK's uses, another great suggestion. Well I found some small dolphins and VHB tape and so here it is. I like it very much. These dolphins are not a keep sake so if they come loose and get lost not a big deal. I did not have them inlayed as of yet. I will see how the tape works. Also thinking of getting USS Puffer SSN652 engraved on the lock side. I did this on my small and depending on how this go I may do my large also. Thanks again for everyones help and comments.

For those unfamiler here is some information on the EIB (Expert Infantryman's Badge)
"
In 1944 Army Chief of Staff, George C. Marshall initiated the development of an Award to honor the U.S. Army Infantryman. The Office of Heraldic Activity of the Quartermaster General began work on designing a badge that would represent the U.S. Infantry’s tough, hard hitting role in combat and symbolize proficiency in the Infantry arts."

Nice! I wonder if I could do that with my EIB?

Looks great.

Thanks Dave. I would love to see more militay bages on knives. So far everyone that has handled my knife pushes on the Dolphins, with my encouragement. And so far the have not budged. I am going to give it an extra hard workout. The tape was very inexpenseve and I pleanty if someone needs it to try.

Awesome Bill!! The Dolphins look great!! It will be very interesting to see how the VHB tape holds up!! You have probably started a new trend!!
All the best, Dave

Awesome my friend.
I am happy that it worked out for you.
I use VHB tape when I do overlay bolsters. I was thinking about taking some thin material and just adhering it to the knife myself.
Or I was going to to a cross hatch on CNC with one of many patterns that are available.
I will have to see.

Two questions.
Where can I find a supply of cast designs like that for myself?
What brand of tape was is it 3M HP or something else?
Matt

Thanks Matt. the 3M VHB I got off ebay was very inexpensive. I found the Dolphins also on ebay but there are some nice militay sites that carry all the metals and awards.

Bill

Just a quick update on the Dolphins and tape. I carry it everyday with out fail. Everyone I have handed it to (with my encouragement) has pushed on the Dolphins. They have not budged. There is one spot you can get a little of your finger nail under but your finger nail is going to come off before the Dolphins! I am loving it and want to again thanks those who gave me such great advice. When I look at it I think of all those in every service branch that have given the unlimate scarifice and those on their final patrol.

Just a quick update on the Dolphins and tape. I carry it everyday with out fail. Everyone I have handed it to (with my encouragement) has pushed on the Dolphins. They have not budged. There is one spot you can get a little of your finger nail under but your finger nail is going to come off before the Dolphins! I am loving it and want to again thanks those who gave me such great advice. When I look at it I think of all those in every service branch that have given the unlimate scarifice and those on their final patrol.

Glade to hear it is holding up, now you're giving me ideas to try. Thanks for the update!

Another update. Nothing has changed! I have carried it everyday with out fail. I have no idea how many people have handled it and pushed on the dolphins. They have not moved and I am sure they never will. If anyone is thinking of doing something like this I would say go for it. A great way to personlize your knife. I would be more than happy to send anyone a piece of tape if they want to give it a try.

Bill

Back