1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

I have a problem with firesteels.......

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Moosez45, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Moosez45

Moosez45 Custom Antlers, Factory Knives... Moderator

Jul 14, 2010
    I can't place an order for anything without putting a firesteel on there. I have a Goingear Moose model :D, wolverine, badger, and a box of the squirrel models.

3 LMF Army models, 2 Scout models.

And I just order a Coghlan's. Some have been used, most have not.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Moose

2. SRWeldon

SRWeldon

May 26, 2012
    I cant seem to find a firesteel that I like. Everyone that I have is small cheap and flimsy.

3. knifephan

knifephan

Mar 4, 2009
    I have a Light My Fire, it is neither small, cheap, nor flimsy. I like it, but I do not share your problem Moosez as it is my only fire steel.

4. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    I have a few, but they are all used and in kits somewhere in the house. I always want to add them, but I never do because I know I don't need them.

5. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD

Aug 5, 2008
    You know what they say ... two is one, one is none.

Always need a back-up :D

6. edctac

edctac

May 7, 2011
    I had a similar problem, I fixed it by buying blank rods and making my own handles :)

7. mac_heath

mac_heath

Aug 27, 2002
    I was able to restrain myself from adding firesteels to my last order, but it was a bit of a struggle.

8. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
  9. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    I have 4 or 5 laying around , an original strike force type in my grab ang go stuff. Mag block from harbor freght, smallest light my fire minus handle in my altoids box pocket kit . I have a round tin with the rod from a mag block magnafying lens char cloth jute string and a pencil sharpener and a coulghans ranger banded to the sheath of my condor rodan. When you consider the size price and the fact I can buy the coulghans locally they are hard to beat
    Roy

10. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I'd say you got no problem there Moose. Can't have enough of those. Adding knives to a fire steel order, now that may be a problem.

11. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Great site! :thumbup:

12. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Jeez, I have a firesteel in probably every knife sheath that I own by now. I have an extra that hangs by neck and an extra on my key chain, let alone the mag bars. I likely can't go anywhere without a firesteel or folding knife.

13. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Have quite a few scattered around. 1/8"-3/8" mostly just blanks at least 2" long or more.

They are certainly not all equal and the LMF's are my favorites.

Bill

14. mewolf1

mewolf1 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Just a little OCD eh?:D at least you are not hanging in the bar all the time:thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  15. knifephan

knifephan

Mar 4, 2009
    Hmm, and here I thought the fire steel was the backup. I usually have a Bic on me, less now that I switched to an electronic cig, but they are still all over the house. When I go out in the woods I usually take 2 Bics and have the steel as a backup. Maybe I need to buy another fire steel though, just in case. :D

16. Over Kill

Over Kill Banned

Jul 7, 2010
  17. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    I use mine at most any opportunity. I do also carry bics in my kits but as someone once told me "If you want to get good at shooting at 600 yards, practice at 800..."

I still hate flint and steel though. Need more practice.

Bill

18. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    I had the same issue with wanting more of them. One in every place I went and I wanted my friends to have them to. I cured it by buying the cheap Coglan knocks offs online at Harbor Freight. I bought 30 of them delivered to the house for $40.00 and started handing them out like candy. The need is fixed for a few months as I have a dozen or so remaining.

19. Tixx

Tixx Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2011

They are my favorite, especially the gobspark versions.

20. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    My gobspark is my go to. The others are just fun to play wih.