I have some 3/32“. What should I make?

picsay-1359476702.jpg

i like both of these Chris. ironically enough, i just sent a cutout to a maker that looks almost exactly like that bottom knife. you have a bit more hump in the handle and a bit more tip. i like it. can't wait to see the finished product.

Can't wait to see how that bottom one turns out! Just got me some .085 52100 in yesterday. Gonna start experimenting with the HT on it. I'm shooting for a nice Santoku with Desert Ironwood scales.

I really liked the bottom one better on paper, but seeing then cut out I can't decide. :) Definitely watching to see how these turn out.

I think the handle on the top one is too flat.
I really like the looks of the handle on the bottom one.
good palm swell & nicely dropped butt.

I really like the bottom one. I changed the top one a little because it felt a little thick in the handle. I think Im going to heat treat these before grinding to try and keep them flat. Should I flat grind or convex them?

do a shallow flat saber to thin them down a bit then convex -- keep some weight for balance, but not enough to make them tip-heavy.

I've only done a few Kitchen knives...like 4 I think. All I ever heard was "Convex this and convex that". So I put a convex edge on them and I'm just not that thrilled with their performance. All were CPM 154, around .103 thick. I had Texas Knife heat treat them and I think they only HT to around 58. That may be the problem as well. My next few will be flat ground!

Since you have two to work with, I'd flat grind one and convex the other one and see which one you like best.

I second Mudbug's assessment: convex grinding makes a poor kitchen knife. They feel too "wedge-y" when you are halving stuff - apples, squash, melons... stuff with body. A flat grind feels slimmer and requires less effort to cut with. My first couple of kitchen knives were convex -- they weren't a failure, but they weren't a success, either. They do well on meat, however.

Nice blades. I have been looking for something similar for use when camping. A 6-7 inch santoku style blade - wharncliffe end would be simply awesome. I like flat ground blades for kitchen, seem to slice with less effort. I like the slight taper of the cutting edge toward the tip, but prefer less taper of the top of the blade. If you can keep more material on the top of the blade toward the tip, make one with a sheath and some nice scale, I'd love to add one to my camping kit.

I have enough left for one I think Talldaddy. Let me finish these up and we can talk!

Back