1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

I sold a Knife for a gun, does this make me a bad person?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by celticpride2133, Sep 9, 2012.

1. celticpride2133

celticpride2133

Jan 30, 2012
    So I recently sold one of my favorite knives for a gun (sage 2 for savage mark 2). I love the gun but miss the knife. Will this feeling of hurt ever go away and have yall ever sold a knife to fund a non-knife purchase?

2. Hans17

Hans17

Mar 11, 2012
    Seems smart to me.

3. Elsilrac1

Elsilrac1

Sep 22, 2007
    Dont fear - I have done the same. I predict you will get another sage 2.

4. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott

Dec 3, 2010
    I sold a few knives (Tilt, 0500 Mudd, speed bump, 0551) to fund a mountain bike. I couldn't be happier with the trade off!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  5. 13aphomet

13aphomet Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Yes, you are a bad person. And yes, it will hurt until you get another. im experiencing the same thing with selling my Gayle Bradley.. Bad mistake. Luckily, for us, they come up for sale pretty often.

6. hayes31

hayes31

Jun 5, 2012
    Hey, sometimes you've got to branch out from knives, no biggie.

7. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    No, but I want to sell one of my guns to fund a knife:D

8. dsmegst

dsmegst

Jul 21, 2009
    Nice purchase. :) I love my 17HMR Savage and probably go with a Mark 2 for a .22. I particularly like the accu-trigger.

9. SOLEIL

SOLEIL

Mar 20, 2006
    Many years ago I had to sell most of my gun collection to pay medical bills. I only regret selling one of them. With any luck I will be able to replace it in a few more years. Don't think about it, enjoy your new toy with no regrets and the feelings will dissipate.

10. GAM3INO

GAM3INO

Mar 16, 2012
    I'm right there with you. I've been a gun fanatic my whole life, but the knife bug has consumed me over the last year! I'm ready to sell my SIG P226 for a wicked edge and another knife!

11. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I'm confused. Were you so strapped for cash that you had to sell a great knife to buy an inexpensive gun? Why didn't you just keep the knife and buy the gun. Is there a law where you live that says you can't own both of them?

How much was the Savage? They are nice guns but at the low end of prices, definately not Weatherbys, etc.

Was there a woman involved in this decision?

12. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    I am always selling toys to buy more toys! The circle of life my friend!

That's not a real mountain bike--it's a Trek.....(just kidding) Nice bike by the way.

13. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    Yep...the circulation is half the fun. I sold a boat load of knives (Rosellis I'd never use, LOTS of Gerbers, all my serrated Spydercos, some of which were mildly collectable, etc.) on a popular auction site. It was fun, I got a boat load of cash and guess what, bought better knives (ESEEs, a whole new stable of plain edge Spydercos etc). Sold one or two guns to fund another. Some people accumulate...some people circulate. I find that as the circulation progresses, one settles into what one really wants to keep.

I've got a BIG N-Frame 627 8-shot .357 magnum revolver. Paid a fortune for it new. Love it...would never in a million years carry it unless I was fly-fishing in Alaska or Northern Idaho or somewhere where I'd need to worry about bears (and I don't fly fish...any place). Best double action trigger. Love shooting it. Would sell it in a minute if I got a good offer.

Not sure I own a knife I wouldn't sell if tendered a good offer. I'd have to make money on one of my favorites (which I'd just replace at a profit).

Some people accumulate...some people circulate. I am somewhere in the middle really.

14. et45

et45

Sep 22, 2006
    I sold several knives over the last year including a Buck 124 in rough shape I found at a pawn shop(sent it back to Buck for refurb) took the money to a gunshow and bought a Glock 21 and a no lock S&W 642.Could not have been happier the knives were just sitting in a box and not being used.

15. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I've traded guns for knives.

16. The Logical One

The Logical One Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2011
    I sold my first entire collection of knives to fund a mountain bike last year. I am one of those people who can't simultaneously focus on multiple hobbies (probably a good thing). Once summer rolled around and it was too hot to ride I started another knife collection again. I really miss a couple of those knives I sold.

You MIGHT regret it once the excitement of the gun wears off. :D

17. shqxk

shqxk

Mar 26, 2012
    Selling a Knife for a gun doesn't make anyone a bad person. Selling a Chris Reeve for a Cold Steel does.

18. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2011
    If I had the cash I'd help you with that, I've always wanted a P226.

19. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    Right about 3 years ago, I sold a bunch of knives and they greatly helped me start a business. I miss the knives :D.

20. Grease

Grease Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2012
    I've only sold 3 knives, and all three were little-used members of my collection that I sold to reimburse myself after spend $150 that I didn't really have on two other knives :p

If the feeling doesn't go away, it means you need another Sage 2. :)