1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

I want to see knives you have personalized youself!

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by res1cue, Apr 23, 2012.

1. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    My favorite thing about knives is how readily you can modify them to "make them your own".

Just yesterday, I took this spartan I had, which I had always hated b/c it came dull, I never had the time to reprofile the edge, and it started spotting in 2 days. It has literally been sitting around for years, without any use and I decided to do some work to it.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Despite the hollow ground, the edge was pretty thick, so I added a relief bevel of 28 degrees inclusive! :eek: And then I put on a normal (not micro bevel) edge of 40 degrees inclusive. Polished to a nice satin sheen, put a paracord fob on it. And now I can't get it out of my pocket :D

Here is a SK5 Recon scout I did as well (not the SM3 version). It was a huge pain in the butt removing all the black but it turned out pretty good
    [​IMG]

Here is a minigrip I modified with a bit of glo-inc's paint:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my favorite picture, here is a hold-out III that I got to a mirror polish (wasn't hard it was already satin). Note: I did have to flip the picture to make it read correctly
    [​IMG]

Now I want to see what you guys have done! Maybe you can give me some idea of what to do next

2. BryFry

BryFry

Jul 29, 2009
    Nice mods! Those are all looking quite good! Looks like you've got the hang of sanding and pollishing, and having fun with a dremel. I like it.

I love tinkering around with modding my knives as well. :thumbup:

Just FYI, there is a customized production knife thread around here already..... but it doesn't hurt to start another I guess. :) I think I'll Ipost a few mods of my own here in a sec...

3. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Thanks! Please do!

And yes I know, but that is mostly done by professionals I believe? Either that or they look really really good. Tuffthumbz started it, and I consider him a professional.

4. BryFry

BryFry

Jul 29, 2009
    A few of my own...

Modded CS Rifelmans hawk:
    [​IMG]
    Swamprat Swampwarden:
    [​IMG]
    Modded my girraffe bone Busse:
    [​IMG]
    Modded my Junglas:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CS Larado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CS pipe hawk
    [​IMG]
    Pollished Izula
    [​IMG]

5. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Very nice! I love what you have done to the rifleman hawk and the swamp rat

The spine on the laredo is beautiful too!

6. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
  7. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    Like I said, I think those were done by professionals? I was looking to see what people have done themselves. Maybe I am just vastly underestimating what people are able to do.

8. clich

clich

Apr 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    Well you could keep guessing or you could read a little. The choice is ultimately yours. Cheers.

10. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    I love that one!

Guess may be the wrong word. It is clear that there is a mix of both, with most of them not having a description of who did it. I just wanted a thread where it was all done by the poster him/herself.

11. ron_m80

Mar 1, 2009
    Thats fine. I actually had to dig a little to find it for you. Whether you agree or not, there are many talented people here on Bladeforums, alot of them are makers or "service-providers" or some sort. So the answer to your request may be a little of both, like it or not.

I really don't think the people that posted in that thread are going to post the same in your thread, thats why i dug up the link for you. Not trying to rain on your thread.

12. res1cue

res1cue

Feb 2, 2010
    That's fine, and there sure are.

How bout you post something you modded then? :p

13. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    Here is everything I've modded that has been deemed a mediocre/semi-ok level

[​IMG]

14. Skimo

Skimo

Mar 28, 2009
  15. ron_m80

Mar 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Nixelplix

Nixelplix Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2003
    Here's a cheap Chinese balisong. Pretty poor quality but it has nice solid stainless steel handles.

[​IMG]

So I got rid of the blade and the plastic inserts, and replaced them with a new blade I made and citrus wood inserts.

[​IMG]

17. BryFry

BryFry

Jul 29, 2009
    Awesome job on that bali! Looks fantastic!

18. Nixelplix

Nixelplix Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2003
    Thanks! :)

19. Jroden5446

Jroden5446

Dec 20, 2009
    I've posted most of these other places but, what the heck

bK7 and BK14
    [​IMG]

Busse Zilla, HI ASTK and Scrapyard Scrapizashi wearing redwood
    [​IMG]

BK10 LE wearing black ash burl and desert iron wood
    [​IMG]

20. Jroden5446

Jroden5446

Dec 20, 2009
    Clich, that BK2 is insane looking and BigFry that is the nicest looking Junglas I think I've ever seen