Identification help please.

Here is a Sog Seal Pup, Seki-Japan. I got this at a milsurp auction. I was told this was the issued sheath. It is quality construction. Anyone have any knowledge of this configuration?

Hello, Petah:

Sorry, I am no help on identifying your sheath. Of all the sheaths I have seen for the SOG Seal Pup, this is the first one this style I have ever seen.

To me, your sheath looks like an very high quality aftermarket sheath. I seriously would not mind owing a sheath of this quality.

I suggest that you send your photos to SOG Knives [ http://www.sogknives.com/contact-info.html ] and request information about your knife/sheath.

Hopefully some of the other SOG forum members will be able to add some helpful insights.

Regards,
d-1

Your knife is a Kinryu SOG SEAL PUP model ST-10M/MFTB. Kinryu is the factory in Seki that made all the original SOG Knives (excluding the S1 and S2 which were made by Hattori) from the late 1980s until 2007, when SOG moved production to Taiwan. The sheath is also made by the same Kinryu, which in addition to knives makes all sorts of tactical gear. They were never sold in the U.S. so your knife must have originated in Japan.

sog-st-10mmftb-2_zpsrv2mioib.jpg

The sheath also comes in O.D. and designated ST-10M/MFTD

sog-st-10mmftd-2_zpschxu0yvg.jpg

Your knife is a Kinryu SOG SEAL PUP model ST-10M/MFTB. Kinryu is the factory in Seki that made all the original SOG Knives (excluding the S1 and S2 which were made by Hattori) from the late 1980s until 2007, when SOG moved production to Taiwan. The sheath is also made by the same Kinryu, which in addition to knives makes all sorts of tactical gear. They were never sold in the U.S. so your knife must have originated in Japan.

The sheath also comes in O.D. and designated ST-10M/MFTD

Awesome! Thanks, KenHash.

Regards,
d-1

Thank you Ken! I got this in Seoul. I thought this might be the case. Japanese domestic product!

Did you know approximate date of manufacture?

Last edited:
Thank you Ken! I got this in Seoul. I thought this might be the case. Japanese domestic product!

Did you know approximate date of manufacture?

I suspect that these knives were leftover factory stock after the contract with SOG ended. So definitely after 2008.
The knives I believe all have the later blade logo.
I "think" I saw this configuration in 2010 but can not be absolutely sure.

Last edited:
These are very nice. I would like to get some of these for the Revolver series. Most Pup sheaths will fit the Revolvers very well. Wonder if a person could find these on ebay ?

Thanks for showing these.

Robbie Roberson

These are very nice. I would like to get some of these for the Revolver series. Most Pup sheaths will fit the Revolvers very well. Wonder if a person could find these on ebay ?

Thanks for showing these.

Robbie Roberson

I know it might just be me but I like as small a sheath as possible. These look huge compared to the size of the knife. I like the kydex sheath that came with my Revolver. The kydex for my Seal pup is the best blade size to sheath ratio I have. It is admittedly modded a bit.

FyJXdaEh.jpg

FNVzeo8h.jpg

Agreed, I too like the kydex, but the newer models don't have that sheath so its always nice to find a good sheath that will fit. Thank you,
Robbie Roberson

Back