Imacas Sable machete

Drooooooooool!!! Sweet! Thanks for posting this.

I'm liking the overall looks of it more as weapon than a tool. Modding it by by chopping off a few inches would probably make it more fit for that role as well :thumbup:

I wanna knock that thing in half and round the handle. Would be awesome if it was modded into a golok shape.

I can't quite figure out the purpose of the handle on that "sable" machete- it's oddly shaped. It looks like it's designed to keep the blade from twisting in your hand when using a 2-finger "pinch grip"- but it looks uncomfortable to me.

One word of caution on the Imacasas- if you order one, you'd better order a mill file to go along with it. Those things ship with factory "edges" that are dull as bricks. Every Imacasa I have came with a literal "flat" where the edge is supposed to be. I view the factory "edge" as a suggestion as to where the edge should eventually go. :D I don't think it's a big deal, I believe that the old Collins machetes- viewed as the finest ever made- were the same way. I guess they're that way so that the user can put whatever kind of edge he wants on them.

Once you get an edge on 'em, Imacasas are awesome. :thumbup: I prefer Imacasas to every currently-made machete, except for Condors, of course. They're not as heavy as Ontarios, and they have better handles than Tramontinas or Cold Steels, and I think the steel is a bit better, too. I don't have the Sable, but I do have the 28" Guarazima- which has a similar blade shape and length, just with a different handle. It's a big, heavy machete. It would take a mighty arm indeed to swing that thing all day. :D For zombies- it's just the ticket- that thing hits with authority! If you had the timing right, you could zip Zack's head off in one go- ZING!!!

I can't quite figure out the purpose of the handle on that "sable" machete- it's oddly shaped. It looks like it's designed to keep the blade from twisting in your hand when using a 2-finger "pinch grip"- but it looks uncomfortable to me.

thats what i was thinking....id mod it for sure....:thumbup:

While some folks might view the out-of-box lack of edge on the Imacasas a bit of a detractor, I know I sure don't! Like Moonwilson said, it allows you to put whatever kind of edge on it you like (and who HASN'T had to sharpen a machete once you got it home, providing it wasn't a Condor?). When you think about it, anyone who doesn't know how to sharpen shouldn't be using a machete anyway. Since you so often touch them up in the field, sharpening skills are a must! :D

One word of caution on the Imacasas- if you order one, you'd better order a mill file to go along with it. Those things ship with factory "edges" that are dull as bricks. Every Imacasa I have came with a literal "flat" where the edge is supposed to be. I view the factory "edge" as a suggestion as to where the edge should eventually go. :D I don't think it's a big deal, I believe that the old Collins machetes- viewed as the finest ever made- were the same way. I guess they're that way so that the user can put whatever kind of edge he wants on them.

Almost every Machete comes with no factory edge. You said it about the Imacasas in a few threads, and that is how a normal machete is supposed to be. The ONLY companies that actually come sharp are Condors and some Gerbers. Even Ontarios come with a Horrible edge. Tramontina? Yep, them too. The point is that this is a design feature. The end user puts the type of edge they want on it, whether it be a heavy edge for thick brush, a super slicey edge, or some kind of chopping double bevel. In both Latin American and South America, everyone knows how to sharpen a machete, and this is looked upon as a preference. It is not a down fall on Imacasa's part. They know how to put an edge on a machete.

Last edited:
yeah it is a very long machete....i was hoping Joe would chime in. :)

I'm sure you aren't surpised that I can chime in, I have two :p I actually got it from Orizondo in Porto Rico! This is a Porto Rican style machete. Of course, it isn't the only type used in PR, but it seems to be popular there, as far as sales are concerned. I have a Tramontina like this too, and they are used mainly for grass cutting. You can use a pulling stroke on them and they sing through it as well. If somehow, I remember, I will take pics (soon I'll be out of the "remember" situation, as I will have Internet and Machetes in one central location :)!

Almost every Machete comes with no factory edge. You said it about the Imacasas in a few threads, and that is how a normal machete is supposed to be. The ONLY companies that actually come sharp are Condors and some Gerbers. Even Ontarios come with a Horrible edge. Tramontina? Yep, them too. The point is that this is a design feature. The end user puts the type of edge they want on it, whether it be a heavy edge for thick brush, a super slicey edge, or some kind of chopping double bevel. In both Latin American and South America, everyone knows how to sharpen a machete, and this is looked upon as a preference. It is not a down fall on Imacasa's part. They know how to put an edge on a machete.

I don't mean to knock Imacasa, I LIKE Imacasas. I like them a lot- I'm definitely a fan. I guess I've mentioned their edges a couple of times because Americans are used to their knives shipping with edges already on them. I won't mention the factory edges in future posts, because I can see how it could be perceived as a knock on Imacasa- which I certainly don't intend. They do make a mean machete. I have a few, and I'm actually expecting three more to arrive in the next day or so.

zzmachetes2.jpg

The Guarazima on the left is the closest thing I have to the Sable so far. I don't have any of the wooden-handled Imacasas yet- but I will once my Daga arrives. I'm interested to see how nice their wooden handles are.
zzmachetes1.jpg

These are the machetes I have in my office right now. I have several more in my car and at home. The third one up is the infamous 14" Pata de Cuche which was "stolen" from me by myself. The one with the red handle is my Collins/ Fiddleback masterpiece. :thumbup:

Last edited:
you know I have those 14 inch imacasas for sale right? I may have a few more available

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676349&highlight=imacasa

;) That's the machete a bunch of folks have been giving me a hard time in W&C about. After I posted that it had been stolen- I found it again. :foot: It's my favorite small machete- it's a great size, has nice balance, and is very comfortable to use. :thumbup: I like it so much, the 18" version may arrive at any minute. :D

I do like the red. Those things are SWEET.

Back