Image too large, apparently?

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by jackal_727, May 18, 2017.

1. jackal_727

jackal_727 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 25, 2010
    I keep getting a notification that the image I'm uploading is too large for the server to process. What's strange is it doesn't always happen. All my pics are taken with my phone, and I don't change any of my photo settings. It's kinda frustrating that I can't easily upload photos to a sales thread. Having people email me for photos is a pita, and image hosting sites suck. Is this something I'm doing wrong?

meako likes this.
  2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Nothing, tapatalk used to offer a sizing option but that's no longer.
    Easiest way I've found is to edit my pictures on my phone down to size. I can't explain why it happens sometimes and not others.

3. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    There seems to be a strict 2 megabyte limit on photo uploads. (Which is so much more improved than the old system which was around 200 kilobytes.)

I did a test and a 1.9 megabyte photo would upload, and a 2.1 megabyte photo would not. You have to downsize it on your own. Some photos have very little detail and will fall under the size requirements. (If you took a photo of a rug, that has so much detail that it would be twice the size of a photo of a wall.) Just as an example.

Resize it.

4. jackal_727

Aug 25, 2010
    Resized the images and now it works. That's a little crazy that a basic image taken from a cell phone camera is too large to post. And this is the only online forum using this format that I have an issue with.

5. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    There is a free app called Image Size that lets me post from my ipad and iphone.

6. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    IMG_2091.jpg Here is a picture of the Image Size processing page.

7. jackal_727

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks, I'll check out if there's a comparable app for Android.

8. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Did you downsize the settings in your camera first? I have a Samsung Note 5 and it has a 12 megapixel camera and subsequent LARGE images with a LOT of resolution. I can reduce the images to post, but I have to do so in the camera software settings FIRST.

You could not post ANYTHING before this software change from your phone, without 'tapatalk'. So, BIG improvement that needs understanding.

Or use the app above.

meako likes this.
  9. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    My ipad has an 8M pixel camera, and my iphone has a 12M pixel camera. I take most of my pictures with the pad because it's easier to see the subject on a 12 in. Screen. The Image Size app. listed above compresses the photos taken with the 8M camera and lets me post them.

10. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Resized_20170423_070901(1).jpeg click thumb

Jackal_727 I need to apologize. I thought it was easier than it is, because I just tried. Its not.

I have a Samsung Note 5 and although I can reduce the resolution it was not enough to be able to post. There used to be an option in a previous OS to resize the photo, but not this one.

So the only way I could do it was to send my file to myself through the text messages and then save it. That's the only way it was small enough to be able to post. So I would need an extra app to do this is well.

This is not so much the forums fault as it is the phone's fault. Although would be great if the Forum could simply downsize a 10 megabyte file into a 1 Megabyte file and reduce it. (Maybe there's a add-on or an option somewhere, but it's not happening now.)

Thanks for making me work. I'm going to go eat some pie. Crow pie... Lol!

KELAMA likes this.
  11. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Stilk getting used to this awesome new feature.
    I take a wider shot then crop it down on the phone to just under 2 mb.
    Eg 1.56mb straight from phone.
    20170522_120132.jpg

12. jackal_727

Aug 25, 2010
    No problem. I figured it out sorta at least. I ended up cropping the pictures down to make them fit. The only issue was posting a picture of a junglas or similar sized knife, I had to use two separate pictures. One of the blade half, one of the handle half. It works, but is certainly not ideal.

13. GasMan1

GasMan1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2015
    I started having this problem occasionally with the new site too. I downloaded the app. for my Android called photo & pic resizer. it's pretty simple to use. hope this helps.