1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Interested in a small fixed blade with pocket sheath.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheEdge01, Jun 6, 2017.

1. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    As the title says, I am interested in a smaller fixed blade, probably in the 3 to 3.5 inch blade length. Steel isn't a major issue I prefer something decent though. I would like to get something with a sheath equipped with a pocket clip. If possible, I would like to keep the price between 50 to 100 dollars. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    When you say a decent steel what does that mean? Esee isula is always a good option but it is 1095 and not stainless.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  3. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Try a Buck Thorn. It's being discontinued so it's on sale everywhere. It's a great lil' blade for less than $50 now.
    Not pictured here, but there is an attachment to the sheath for vertical carry.
    Steel is 440C, a pussycat to sharpen.

[​IMG]

TheEdge01 likes this.
  4. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    A. G. Russell has some small FBs on his web site that fit into your general specs.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I am trying to avoid lower end steels like AUS6, 440A, 420J pretty much steels that have poor edge retention. I prefer something that takes and holds a decent edge like AUS8, 8CR13MOV, 440C, etc.

6. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I like the looks of that little Buck. Thanks for the pic.

7. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    Bradford Guardian?

TheEdge01 likes this.
  8. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Okay, got it. Esee's 1095 might just work for you then. Also, lots of makers on the exchange do small fixed blades. I't take a look there. Not sure you would get a sheath with a clip though. Easy enough to get a g-clip on most kydex sheaths.

That is my choice for a small FB. Perhaps the budget can be stretched?

highestpoint and TheEdge01 like this.
  9. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I've looked hard at the woods walker and the hunter's scalpel. Those should make the short list.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  10. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Becker bk14

TheEdge01 likes this.
  11. adamlau

adamlau Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 13, 2002
    TheEdge01 likes this.
  12. NJBillK

NJBillK Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 27, 2014
    I went custom for $70, from Daado on here. I have a sweet little B&T/EDC in 52100.
    20170518_172645.jpg 20170518_172459.jpg
    It came with a vertical belt sheath, but once I am back up on my feet, I will be making a crossdraw for it.

ISP 5353 and TheEdge01 like this.
  13. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    you will find a bunch of them if you look on the knife maker for sale area here under fixed blades. There are some really nicely made knives!

TheEdge01 likes this.
  14. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    I'd say try a Schrade SCHF5N. For under $20 it's 7cr17mov, but does have a neck chain and pocket clip. I moved my clip to the show side so I could clip it in to my right pocket, which only required a drill and 1 minute of my time to do. Same dimensions basically as the ESEE Izulas.

[​IMG]
    Or just get the Izula. I've seen them under $50 for the smaller one :)

TheEdge01 likes this.
  15. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    Check with Kelley Ward @hardedge knives, he makes some great small fixed blades at a great price point.

JupiterPaladin and TheEdge01 like this.
  16. NJBillK

Mar 27, 2014
    Yea, Hardedge, or Daado will land you with a quality knife for your price range.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  17. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    The Izula really sparks my interest.
    Does it come with the pocket clip? Is it shipped with the cord to wrap the handle?

18. NJBillK

Mar 27, 2014
    If the Izula catches your eye, also look into the Becker BK11 for an added cap lifter.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  19. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Hardedge knives posted 2 decent ones this week. I picked up a 3" D2 wharncliffe from him a few months ago for a very good price and have liked it.

http://bladeforums.com/threads/2-paracord-wrapped-blades.1497746/

Childress has been putting out some smaller neck knives in 440c in that price range as well but I think most have been around 2.5-2.75".

As far as production models, there are a lot to choose from. OKC rat 3 or esee izula should run right around the top of your price range and are well liked. I have a buck ops boot knife that's pretty decent for lighter use as the handle is a bit small for hard use.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  20. NJBillK

Mar 27, 2014
    Don't forget on the harder use end of the spectrum you have Busse with the Scrapivore, Swamp Warden, and full handles models like the 311, Game Warden and Active Duty.

Though the Game Warden and Active Duty will stretch your budget a little, the others shouldn't.

TheEdge01 likes this.