Is 1084fg for me?

I am about to start making blades with aldo's 1084. What is this coating of which you speak? Something to do with the quench???

I am looking for experiences with 1084fg from Aldo for use in a series of bushcraft knives. 3-4- 6.5" blades 1-8 -5/32- 3/16ths spines 6.5 to 12" overall. The reason for asking is I am looking for toughness as well as wear resistance. I have used O1 on the small skinners and have not had any issues but I have heard good things about the 1084fg, so how does it compare to O1 or 5160?

I am rough on my knives as in hammering in wooden snare stakes, making one stick fires, chopping, etc which is why I was looking at the 1084fg. The price and heat treat are both nice as well but I am using a HT oven so correct temp is not an issue as it would be in a forge. I do plan to use PBC or satanite as the coating instead of foil.

You will find that 1084 makes a fine knife and is a very forgiving steel. O1 is a quality steel as well and both can be made to give you toughness as well as edge holding. Many knifemakers get caught up in changing steels as they progress with their knifemaking. Remember that THE H/T IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE TYPE OF STEEL. The best advice that I can give to any new knifemaker is to pick one steel and stick to it until you know that you can get the most out of it everytime. If you continuously change steels then it is much harder to get consistant quality out of your blades.

Using an oven is a good step toward consistancy. I would recommend the use of a commercial quenching oil as well. I'm not saying that you can't do the H/T without these options. They just make it easier to achieve consistant results and in making knives you need to put out the same quality everytime.

Gary

Back