It followed me home (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Steve Tall, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Fwiw, Liberty Tree Collectors has German surplus hafts what might fit that axe.
    I bought a few, but turned out slightly too small for a 2kg axe. Beech wood also. Not optimal, but serviceable & 'Euro-authentic.
    None the less, with slight mods & fitted them into some 1.5kg Russian axes.

2. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks for the tip - I hadn't come across Liberty Tree Collectors site before.

I get a kick out of the Russian топор axes as well.

3. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    JB - Nice bunch you picked up there! I know you have been selling some on the bay, but you must have one big stack of axes stashed away based on what you post. My brother inherited a Keen Kutter from my dad which he promptly ruined using it as a wedge to split rounds with. I appropriated it to see if I could get it cleaned up - the eye is ok, but its got quite a bit of mushrooming. I educated him on the proper use of an axe and gave him a Collins Legitimus Connie that I got from you off the bay. I ask him frequently if he is treating it well which he assures me he is. He has commented that it really works well - I always tell him that yes, they do work well when they are not abused and kept sharp. I emphasised that they really don't make them like that anymore and he needed to treasure it - he has it displayed in his shop on the wall when it isn't being used. Anyway, just wanted to thank you for that one - it has done a very good job educating someone in the proper use and care of vintage axes. Now, if you had a nice E&S Maine Wedge which I will never see in my part of the country that you would like to sell, well..... I know where you could get that off your hands!

5. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    He used a Keen Kutter as a wedge and you gave him a Legitimus Connie....:eek:;) I have a super pile of splitting wedges, I always grab them when they are $1. Get him one of those and a hand sledge.

As for Maine heads, I have one up right now, and I think that one of the ones I got today will turn out to be a Maine head as well. I'll be cleaning them shortly. I have a few favorites that I'm keeping, but I do sell most of my finds. I'm an appreciator but not a hoarder.

Java_Dude likes this.
  6. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Here are some of today's finds cleaned up. Funny thing, that Maine wedge is a Breck's Victor, but totally unlike the other one I picked up today. Breck's was a Boston hardware catalog seller, so probably had these made by different companies. The older one has to be a Maine made head.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I felt sorry for this guy when I saw all the nails in his head and had to rescue him. It's a Kelly TT that needs a little TLC.
    [​IMG]

Woodcraft likes this.
  8. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    More nail than handle at this point, gotta love it:)

9. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    i'd classify that as a hybrid handle at this point

Woodcraft likes this.
  10. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    what would you call this pattern? Yankee? New England?

11. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    I got the eye cleared, the total count was 13 nails of 3 different types. Overall it looks to be in reasonably good shape. I need to get a handle ordered.

12. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    That picture belongs in a separate thread (that already exists on this forum) dedicated to examples of lazy or desperate wedging! That's a prize winner and there's the makings of a hardware store in there. Keep an eye out for key blanks and mower blades while you're digging around in there.

13. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    $50, may be the most that I have ever paid for an axe lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Square_peg and Woodcraft like this.
  14. Woodcraft

Woodcraft Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016
    That look is quite eye catching. I bet it destroys pine.

15. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Witherall on an Adirondak handle?

Square_peg likes this.
  16. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, shown as found. I won't hold on to it, but I will admire it for a while. It has a 1915 date stamp, before E&S bought them out. I've seen later examples that are E&S heads with the Witherell stamp, but this was prior to that. The handle isn't original.

17. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  18. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  19. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What's the weight of the Kent pattern at the bottom left?