It followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is for posting pictures of new acquisitions. Anything axe or edge-tool related is fine, including axes, shovels, scythes, sharpening equipment, etc. What did you drag home this weekend? Post a pic. Show it to us as it came, with all the dirt and rust and dings intact.

I'll start. This is an axe I grabbed at an estate sale this afternoon. Whoever hafted it must have been drinking.

Legitmus1.jpg

I only bought it because it was cheap and has decent pedigree.

Legitmus2.jpg

Edit: To see the restoration of this axe follow this link.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/981994-Collins-Legitimus-restoration

Last edited:
Here's one I found at a garage sale last week. It's a no name cruiser. 8-3/8" head with a 36" haft. I'll clean this one up and keep it. With a 28" handle it'll be great for packing along on trail crew.

Cruiser1.jpg

I like the fact that you can see the temper lines and that the tempered edges have resisted the pitting that affects the body of the axe.

Cruiser2.jpg

Last one for today. I bought this adze off the bay. It's in surprisingly good condition, light rust, a few dings in the bit and a sound haft.

Adze1.jpg

With a little sharpening this one will be ready to use.

Adze2.jpg

Collins is real tools
i've seen a few hung upside down or wrong side up.LOL:D
all good
buzz

That Collins single bit is hilarious!

Here's my latest acquisition, not sure what it is, but it's in pretty good shape and the triangular eye intrigues me. Stamped underneath with a 3 for 3 pounds.

ee2e43ad.jpg

c5f89687.jpg

Not only drinking Peg...But drinking a lot. I also scored a Collins this week but it won't arrive for a few days. Collins are not very common here so I am very pleased to get her.
Over the years it's amazing how many axe heads and tractor tires I've seen on backwards.

regards...Frank

This one followed me home recently (from Ebay)...I admit, I let her in. Look at those curves, can you blame me????

P1070657.JPG

P1070663.JPG

P1070665.JPG

P1070672.JPG

P1070693.JPG

She's a beauty. And that's about as fine of hafting job as you're ever gonna see. It surely didn't come from ebay hung like that. A Plumb, is it? And it looks like there's a stamp on the single bit, though I can't quite make it out........

She's a beauty. And that's about as fine of hafting job as you're ever gonna see. It surely didn't come from ebay hung like that. A Plumb, is it? And it looks like there's a stamp on the single bit, though I can't quite make it out........

Thank you, Tom. It is a Plumb, Sir. The single is the Collins Legitimus Connecticut pattern that I posted recently.

I put a stain on the Plumb, but I have mixed feelings about the results. When I look at it tomorrow, I'll have a better idea of whether it was a mistake or not. :thumbup:

Also, the wedge on the Plumb I made with a hewing hatchet and spoke shave from a scrap bin piece from a local factory. I believe it's alder. It drove beautifully and didn't even hint at cracking.

Here's one I found at a garage sale last week. It's a no name cruiser. 8-3/8" head with a 36" haft. I'll clean this one up and keep it. With a 28" handle it'll be great for packing along on trail crew.

I like the fact that you can see the temper lines and that the tempered edges have resisted the pitting that affects the body of the axe.

Cruiser2.jpg

Those have a lot of character, looks like you found some good friends.That chunky double looks like it was used for splitting. I like. Are they both Michigan patterns? I saw a new boys ax in ace hardware like that Legitimus.
Cool idea for a thread as well.

Cool idea for a thread as well.

Thanks. My thought was that we would just post pieces as we originally found them - with all the dirt and rust and everything. But anything is welcome.

That chunky double looks like it was used for splitting.

I think doubles are a poor choice for splitting. The narrow eyes leave them just begging for haft damage. The fatter eye of a single bit gives the haft a little more protection. IMO double bits should be saved for felling and bucking.

My thought was that we would just post pieces as we originally found them - with all the dirt and rust and everything. But anything is welcome.

Oops. Here's a couple that I haven't gotten to. The cruiser is a Zenith, just came in a couple days ago.

P1070741.JPG

"Slight" peening ;):
P1070742.JPG

P1070744.JPG

Yeeeaaahhh....
P1070743.JPG

P1070745.JPG

Take care,

Matt

I ALMOST picked up a TrueTemper scythe blade this weekend. It looked to be in beautiful shape at first but on closer inspection the lift of the point was bent down and there were what looked like some forging irregularities with it. I decided I didn't need it--this time at least. It's stashed in a dark corner of the shop right where I found it so I doubt it won't be waiting for me if I change my mind. :D

I looked at a scythe this past weekend, too. It was in fair shape and I could have got it for $22. But it was short, one handle was cracked (they never realize that these are reverse thread
ic28.gif
) and it was a grass blade - which I already have. If it had been a brush blade I would have grabbed it.

If you ever find good grass blades I suggest that you buy them. Since they were simultaneously the most delicate, complicated to make, and the most used. As a result finding ones in rough shape is a lot more common than finding good clean ones. I totally lucked out with mine. Cracked nibs can be replaced so long as the threads still turn and the actual steel band isn't busted. Rusted frozen threads, cracked handles, snaths with rings worn in them from the nibs being overtightened, and loose mounting collars are all pretty common issues I've seen.

That's a very nice axe. And the haft appears to have an essentially perfect grain. The axe head is in mint condition. You can't ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back