1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

It is legal to carry a fixed blade in Connecticut?

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by pjmaxm, Dec 1, 2005.

1. pjmaxm

pjmaxm

Nov 29, 2005
    I looked over the Connecticut knife carry laws and do not see a problem in carrying a fixed blade, as long as it is under 4" and not a dirk (which I assume means a double edged knife like a dagger or boot knife). I want to carry the knife concealed. I will be carrying a Camillus CQB2, so it under the 4" limit and is not double edged. Does anybody have any expierence or other knowledge about carrying fixed blades in Connecticut? Thanks

2. CULLEN3

CULLEN3

Dec 31, 2002
    I would like the same question answered as well as wondered if I can open carry it as well.

3. Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Greetings, we have gone over this one before, so I think you will find the answers you seek in these threads;
    Questions about CT and Autos in CT. :)

4. Geremy

Geremy

Dec 29, 2016
    Is it under any circumstances legal to carry a sword if it's in the sheath?

5. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    Welcome to BladeForums.

Before I answer, I must advise that it's poor form to dig up a 10+ year old thread to ask what is essentially a new question. Especially since knife laws have changed in a lot of states over the past 6 years.

Connecticut's knife law, Chapter 943, Sec. 53-206, does not make any distinction between concealed or open carry. Or between sheathed or unsheathed. A sword with a sharp edge 4" or greater is illegal to carry, but the law has several exceptions:
    The bolded items are what would be applicable to a sword. Please note that exception F would not apply because a sword is not intended for that purpose and if you attempt to claim such, will not be believed by law enforcement. Exception 4 likewise does not apply because martial arts weapons as per Sec. 53a-3 (21) of the penal code do not include swords (and also proves that legislators neither can spell Japanese words nor have the slightest clue about martial arts).