It's 2017, Time to move away from powder coats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it this way. It's Jerry's art. If you don't like it, move along. It's like being critical of Michelangelo because he was still painting the Sistine chapel.
Yup totally agree, No need of being critical of coatings! Just move on! I did:thumbsup::)

I love cerakote as a finish, have it on a number of firearms and spray the air cure version myself at home on small parts and such (also have access to a proper factory booth and oven - clearly not at home). I suspect the issue with going over to cerakote totally is that (purely my experience) the cerakote goes on much "thinner" than the coatings we are use to seeing now and as a result will show many more imperfections through (think visible "grinder gremlins"). This would mean more man hours in preparing the surface for the coating and perhaps defeating the cost/purchase advantage of the current offerings. Rereading your post 'hoot I see you didn't say replace the current offerings (I just extrapolated that and if I mis-read you I apologise) but more cerakote, I agree love that finish and I generally prefer a coated blade - so win win for me !!!

Andy, you are correct, I meant as an additional coating type, not a replacement.

I have a coated ratweiler, it's pretty thick, seemingly. I figured it might fill in the shallower imperfections.

Just a thought

I don't mind powder coating,like it much better than Ceracoat.
There is a coating I would like to see on a knife,don't know what it is but Wilkins uses it on his back spacers. I tried to strip one and went up to a sanding pad on a dremel,didn't make a mark and I gave up.

Epoxy powder coatings can have excellent corrosion resistance (think rebars and pipes) but will fail in long-term outdoor exposure due to very poor UV resistance. Acrylic powders are very good for clarity, gloss, and weather resistance (wheels and topcoats), but not so much on toughness. Polyester powders can be formulated for excellent outdoor exposure; imagine the window trim on a skyscraper.

Now that you mention it, we have no idea what sort of powder coating that Busse is using on their blades.

As far as I know from disucssions with Dan at Blade Show, they are polyester.

When I was new to strippers, I tried to practice on a Spyderco tenacious. After several attempts at chemical strips, it laughed at me, it's like I had given it a light misting of nothing. I was pretty impressed as the coating on a Busse would have literally fallen off by then.
I wonder how that coating would fare with the abuse of chopping repeatedly into hard woods?

I like all the Busse finishes, but for gods sake please bring back the BIG!!!! Preferably in a small to mid size offering.....;)

I can certainly understand why Busse coats their blades, not only from a cost savings standpoint, but for it's intended application. If I were going to out in the bush or in the field for extended periods of time I would want a coated blade. That being said, most of my trips to the woods are weekend trips, so it's easy for me to keep my knife oiled / maintained. For that reason (save for a couple rare occurrences) I'm done buying coated blades. To me uncoated blades perform better and look better. I realize that I could buy coated blades and strip them myself, but that's not something I really enjoy doing. The competition finish is definitely my favorite.

I like Coated Blades . . . I love Satin finished Blades . . . And I think the BIG finish is the greatest thing put out by the Boss man --- if you want Satin or Mirror --- keep polishing.

BIG finish is the ideal middle of the road

While I love powder coating on my truck bed, Busse should move away from it, for the price they are charging, I feel like I'm getting ripped off by the use of powder coats.

"Ripped Off" ? really ?? wow, That is basically accusing them of stealing or misleading you ?
How exactly are you being "ripped off" ????
Did you actually buy a bunch of coated Busse's expecting something else ?
Did they force you to buy them ?
If you actually bought or own a bunch of coated Busse have you sold them and lost money ?
Have you actually used them and they did not perform as advertised ?

Just curious because those are pretty strong accusations.

I would also prefer to see more BIG/Comp/Satin finishes offered regularly.
If the blade is only being offered coated, I'd really like to see a simple Cerakote option as well.

I learned through OP2W that Satin is my thing. No harm no foul. To each their own and all that. A thinner DLC coating would be interesting though. Seen it on some blades but not sure how cost prohibitive it is

The cerecoated ones are impossible to strip unless your sand blasting then, but extremely durable and long lasting in the boonies.

I agree with the OP - to save everyone some time, Busse should coat all blades with watercolors.

why the animosity towards flippers? AFAIK everyone, other than ganzas and shows, has the same opportunity to buy the same knives at the same time. If someone invests money that you chose not to at the time, they deserve to make a little ?
It makes it not about the knives as tools anymore.....Thats why Busse has moved to bottle opener knives and WTF's. The practical user knife making days are ending because the markets is dwindling toward collecting, bragging, then flipping

It makes it not about the knives as tools anymore.....Thats why Busse has moved to bottle opener knives and WTF's. The practical user knife making days are ending because the markets is dwindling toward collecting, bragging, then flipping

I don't agree. Sure there are some Busse's that are not very practical, but the vast majority of them are useful tools for hard use knife work. Are you saying that they shouldn't have fun with a design every now and then? I think that would be pretty boring (although I will say the BURP is not for me). In regards to flippers, those days are long gone. Most of the knives sold on the exchange are for selling at or below cost, the market is still very flooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back