Japanese Straight Razors

Hey Folks,

I recently developed an interest in Japanese Straight Razors. I would certainly like to incorporate a razor such as this into my shaving routine, but really have not point of reference. If anyone out there has some pictures, recommendations, experience, or what to look for with these types of razors, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

P

I don't know anything about them, but I know that Kai makes a few. Maybe check out Badger and Blade or The Straight Razor Place.

Murray Carter makes them. There are pictures on his site.

I just received my first in a trade. I don't know anything about them but I thought I'd share a few pics of mine. I hope to restore it once I've acquired a bit more knowledge and skill, and then try it out.
japanese razor 1.jpg
japanese razor2.jpg
japanese razor3.jpg

As you can see, this particular razor is going to take quite a bit of careful sanding and polishing but you might find something of similar age in a more usable condition. The one thing I will say for sure is that you should definitely let someone who has a lot of experience honing razors do the honing for you. Again, I don't know much about Japanese razors but if mine is any indication, they might even require honing by someone experienced specifically in Japanese razors as the angles are different from one side to the next.

Kamisori are awesome! I'm a big fan, but the recommendation to have a pro hone them is very accurate. I'm comfortable honing my straights but won't even attempt a kamisori due to the asymmetric grind... Anyway, there is definitely a learning curve, even for a straight shaver, when transitioning to a kamisori. I would say it is totally worth it, but I know it's not for everybody.

Good luck on your search!

Back