Jumping on the spinner craze

I had used the work meeting as an example only. Again I don't own a spinner, was just simply trying to explain their purpose. If you think spinners are dumb and pointless then don't buy one. Several machinists out there are definitely making a killing on them right now. Even saw an article in forbes magazine a few days ago about them so there are alot of people who must find some value in them. Furthermore, my understanding is that these are spun silently in the hand and are not really intended or used as a distraction. They are intended to releive stress, promote focus, and concentration. They are marketed to people who have anxiety issues, or are trying to break a habit such as smoking. Also very popular for children with autism and those with ADHD. So again while I personally can find better ways to spend my money....to each their own.

Last edited:
Since when are meetings working? I thought it was how narcissists feed their ego for a couple hours. Like speeches, but less formal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Seems like spinners and vapes are "in" now. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like some "EDC" junkies started vaping just to add another gadget to carry and do Instagram "pocket dumps".

Last edited:
I think it's funny when people post pictures of the edc load and have a spinner or a top that they say they carry daily. I just don't understand what the point is.

Some of the recent "EDC dumps" I've seen lately are borderline stupid.

Keys- check.
Wallet- check.
Knife- check.
Watch- check.

How flipping' complicated does it need to get? And when did a back pack to carry your EDC crap qualify as EDC?

Seems like spinners and vapes are "in" now. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like some "EDC" junkies started vaping just to add another gadget to carry and do Instagram "pocket dumps".

Ahhh, the Doucheflute. Vaping is just stupid and makes you look stupid.

Ahhh, the Doucheflute. Vaping is just stupid and makes you look stupid.

Doucheflute :D

I didn't have an opinion one way or another about vapes, until I saw someone list "Vaping" as a hobby.

Ha! I just do it to keep the monkey off my back. Cigarettes are going up to $8 a pack here in a few days.

Ha! I just do it to keep the monkey off my back. Cigarettes are going up to $8 a pack here in a few days.

Been there done that back in 2010, ha. Cigarettes here are now creeping into the upper-$11 range. That's one of the big reasons I switched to vape back in March 2014. I spent $30 a month now versus before when I was wasting $150-$200 on cancer. I think sucking in tar, paper, and knowingly giving yourself a 1000% increase in odds of getting cancer actually makes you look stupid. Not vaporizers. I don't have anything against people that want to continue to smoke cigarettes, to each his own. I smoked 'em for 12 years. No need to talk $hyte about vape users. So enjoy your cancer. I'm only 30 I have emphysema, I smell like an ashtray, my hair's falling out from chemo, but I look cool, right!

An hour south in that dreadful NYC, cigarettes are well beyond $15 in Manhattan, $12-$14 in the outer boroughs. New York State in general has a 110% tobacco/cigarette tax. The actual cigarettes cost $5-$6 max...the rest of it is tax.

Some people are fidgety and need something to fidget with. I'm glad machinists can make them happy. I',m not a fidgeter so I don't get it, but I understand it. Peoples brains are wired differently.

You're not on instagram.

Lol truth; it's 2017, the year of "how much stuff you can fit in your palm for a photo".

This is why I cut down on "stuff" and try to put my money in things that matter. Thanks for healthy reminder.

Anytime! Glad to help ;)

Do these go well with $500 pocket pry bars?

No, because I'm not another overpriced machinist :D

I remember when EDC was about the weapons and equipment you relied on to get you home safe at the end of the day.

SMH (isn't that what kids say these days?)

Times'a changin'

Some of the recent "EDC dumps" I've seen lately are borderline stupid.

Keys- check.
Wallet- check.
Knife- check.
Watch- check.

How flipping' complicated does it need to get? And when did a back pack to carry your EDC crap qualify as EDC?

As complicated as some people want it I suppose. It's almost like... people are different :O

Some people are fidgety and need something to fidget with. I'm glad machinists can make them happy. I',m not a fidgeter so I don't get it, but I understand it. Peoples brains are wired differently.

I never understood it until I made the first one that I still carry lol. Keeps my hands away from my beard, no foot tapping, no key jingling. Yeah clicking a pen may cost $0.25 but that noise has driven people crazy since elementary school. Someone always gets irked from pen clicking. This is dead silent and can sit at your side where no one can really notice. I've learned to enjoy it, and it just hangs in my off back pocket.

I had used the work meeting as an example only. Again I don't own a spinner, was just simply trying to explain their purpose. If you think spinners are dumb and pointless then don't buy one. Several machinists out there are definitely making a killing on them right now. Even saw an article in forbes magazine a few days ago about them so there are alot of people who must find some value in them. Furthermore, my understanding is that these are spun silently in the hand and are not really intended or used as a distraction. They are intended to releive stress, promote focus, and concentration. They are marketed to people who have anxiety issues, or are trying to break a habit such as smoking. Also very popular for children with autism and those with ADHD. So again while I personally can find better ways to spend my money....to each their own.

Thanks... I'm not sure what everyone's problem is in here making fun of ADHD and fidgety people calling them tweakers who can't pay attention at work. Real nice behavior :thumbdn:

If you spend too much time "fidgeting" at work...., you might get yourself one of those "worry stones" also. That way, when you lose your job, you can have something else to rub while you're out looking for a new one :D DON'T BUY ONE. GO OUT TO THE PARKING LOT AND PICK UP A ROCK. THEY ARE FREE!!!

Lol truth; it's 2017, the year of "how much stuff you can fit in your palm for a photo".

Anytime! Glad to help ;)

No, because I'm not another overpriced machinist :D

Times'a changin'

As complicated as some people want it I suppose. It's almost like... people are different :O

I never understood it until I made the first one that I still carry lol. Keeps my hands away from my beard, no foot tapping, no key jingling. Yeah clicking a pen may cost $0.25 but that noise has driven people crazy since elementary school. Someone always gets irked from pen clicking. This is dead silent and can sit at your side where no one can really notice. I've learned to enjoy it, and it just hangs in my off back pocket.

Thanks... I'm not sure what everyone's problem is in here making fun of ADHD and fidgety people calling them tweakers who can't pay attention at work. Real nice behavior :thumbdn:

Enjoyed your post :-]

I think their problem is pretty obvious. It's different. It's new. And they don't understand it.

I do not want one either but I feel the same way about a bunch of knives I see posted here. Also constant knife flipping. Maybe it's cause I'm a farmer, but wtf? It's a tool not a toy. But I do know others like these aforementioned knives very much, and enjoy constantly screwing with them in front of the tv. That's enough for me. Different strokes. This spinner is a toy, better than cycling a razor sharp knife for fun.

If these guys posted their pocket knife collections on another forum, they'd be flamed for being hoarders. I mean, how many knives of the same model does one need? Judging and criticizing things we don't understand is part of the limbic brain, so that's the problem my friend. We can't help but retreat back towards our reptilian brain when faced with the horrors of the unfamiliar.

But it keeps us safe. From spinners...... thank God.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoyed your post :-]

I think their problem is pretty obvious. It's different. It's new. And they don't understand it.

I do not want one either but I feel the same way about a bunch of knives I see posted here. Also constant knife flipping. Maybe it's cause I'm a farmer, but wtf? It's a tool not a toy. But I do know others like these aforementioned knives very much, and enjoy constantly screwing with them in front of the tv. That's enough for me. Different strokes. This spinner is a toy, better than cycling a razor sharp knife for fun.

If these guys posted their pocket knife collections on another forum, they'd be flamed for being hoarders. I mean, how many knives of the same model does one need? Judging and criticizing things we don't understand is part of the limbic brain, so that's the problem my friend. We can't help but retreat back towards our reptilian brain when faced with the horrors of the unfamiliar.

But it keeps us safe. From spinners...... thank God.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha thanks for the response I enjoyed it. I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of my work that it is not for everyone. Other people's work as well, I mean, statistically how can one thing be EVERYONE's favorite? From my knives, to my multi tools, to my bottle openers. I don't expect everyone to like it at all, and that's fine! Totally okay with that, I'm very honest with myself, my work, and try not to take myself too seriously which I think is good. Comments knocking spinners and EDC trinkets? Yeah I don't care, hell I've done the same lol. Is it goofy? Yes! Dorky? Sure! Man jewelry? You betcha! But some people find genuine joy and usage from them. It's all in good fun!

But the constant "this will be good to have when you lose your job from fidgeting too much LOL"... or bashing people with ADHD and other actual issues where they need to simply tap a foot or something while working... what the honest hell is the reason for that? :( Make fun of the product, don't make fidgety people out to be autistic or tweakers when there are actual tweakers on BF. :thumbdn: I guess next time we're born we'll just spring for the "No ADHD" options and then say "Please" to our creator. That's how it works right? Like rolling an RPG character? :D

Last edited:
But the constant "this will be good to have when you lose your job from fidgeting too much LOL"... or bashing people with ADHD and other actual issues where they need to simply tap a foot or something while working... what the honest hell is the reason for that? :( Make fun of the product, don't make fidgety people out to be autistic or tweakers when there are actual tweakers on BF. :thumbdn: I guess next time we're born we'll just spring for the "No ADHD" options and then say "Please" to our creator. That's how it works right? Like rolling an RPG character? :D

Damn, dude.....offense seems easily taken. Do we need a safe space forum?

Damn, dude.....offense seems easily taken. Do we need a safe space forum?

Yikes. I'll just leave you be if you think that was me taking offense lol. Being a smart ass? Sure! But definitely not offended.

Take care! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Excuse me while I ask a question. I am kind of an old fashioned guy, but them I'm an old guy. But if you're at work in a meeting, or at your job, wouldn't it make more sense to channel any of that "nervous energy" into paying attention to what they are saying in the meeting, or doing your job that they are paying you to do????

Just a novel thought.

Adult fidget toy?

There's actually some research out there that shows doing little inane things like this helps people to focus. There was a study done a while back on doodling, even just utterly pointless scribbling and it helped people stay mentally on task. Now obviously, if you're supposed to be typing or something like that, it's going to be a problem.

I teach a handful of teenagers and just started handing out those "adult coloring" pages a month back. Attentiveness, responsiveness, and retention in my class have gone through the ROOF. Whereas these kids, (some late high-school others early college. All under heavy class loads, and a number working jobs besides) previously could hardly keep themselves awake or focused at times. It's been a real boon to give them a bit of fidgety stuff to do.

Yes you can just click that 25 cent pen. I handed out clicky pens to my class a while back. They clicked and clicked... and clicked those pens. And I had to try not to set fire to each and every one of my students that day. If you work alone, go ahead and click your pen. If you work with other people, STOP IT!

I would much rather someone spinning a spinner than clicking a pen next to me. I think they're kinda cool. Probably will never buy one but if I was gifted one I'd be smiling :)

Back