Just a simple hawk...

I've been on a sword kick lately.. but finally got around to a commissioned hawk. This one is forged from a single piece of 5160.. punched eye. The customer wanted a reduced poll for pounding tent stakes. Mask is deer rawhide over veg tan. This is the beefiest hawk I've ever made in terms of the eye... and the added weight really makes this thing a thrower. It sinks in with a satisfying thud... and it sticks often. Best thrower I've ever thrown.

Anyway.. A no frills tool.

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

That's my kind of hawk Scott, great package. Are you using Fiebings on the rawhide?

Regards

Robin

Man, that is thick around the eye! I like that one Scott, simple and straight forward, nice looking as well.

Yeah.. it is. It was such a massive piece of steel. I wasn't sure about it at first... but.. I just love the weight. Might not be the fastest swinging hawk from a warpath point of view... but it sure does chop and throw well. A bitch to drift though.

I love the design! It may not be as good for fighting as some of the lighter ones, but I bet it would be superior for general woods running. Excellent package.

Howard

That is brutal and awesome. Looks like a hawk that can process some wood! The sheath looks like you took a nod from Randy Church. Nice package.

Thanks folks....

Yeah... It eats wood that's for sure. And that is one of the reasons I haven't really liked my past hawks.. at least in terms of bush tools. Just not all that effective at chopping.

On the sheath...actually John Cohea is a good friend of mine. It's hard not to attempt rawhide sheaths hanging around him. Besides ... he sent me his DVDs.

Wow! Now that's the kind of hawk I would want. Nice and beefy.

A bitch to drift though.

Do you think the difficulty was because of the high carbon content of 5160? I'm curious because I'm thinking about forging a small axe out of a tractor leaf spring - likely 5160. I bet the punch gets hot quickly.

At what heat do you punch and drift this steel? Orange? Bright orange? Did you use a slitter first or just punch it?

Back