1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Just Got Back From The Gathering In Vegas

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by JParanee, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    The Gathering show is a very different show for me. It's mostly over built frame locks, skulls, bling etc.

Vegas is always fun and the people are great. The show has many drawings that bring out a lot of folks and all in all the general word around the show was that it was very successful and is growing every year.

Many of my friends attend and for me it's about getting together with them.

I was very fortunate that David Sharp delivered my Hide Out which believe it or not was one of my very favorite pieces if not my favorite piece of the show.

David thank you , I love it

[​IMG]

Everyone that handled this knife was impressed, from the fit and finish to the choice of materiials this knife is pure bad ass

David Sharp IMHO will rise to be one of the top Loveless style makers out there period and the comments from many who's opinion matter concur with mine

I showed this knife to Tony Marfione , Ernie Emerson , Steve DeLac & RJ Martin to name a few and all where more than impressed

Another knife that really blew my mind was from my brother from another mother ( mad Mel Gibson ) :) David Mirabile.

David just coming off winning best fighter of Blade showed up with a fabulous Japanese inspired Tanto that featured a laminated blade ,titanium Tsuba , Mokume ( from Matt Disken ) Habaki and a handle that is done in wood with a carbon fiber piece instead of ray skin and finished off with Carbon wrap Ito and an ivory Koshira.

David did not have time to finish the Saya so he was not selling this piece but it garnered a huge amount of attention and I know some orders where placed.

I think David's raw organic elemental style combined with this genre is going to really get a lot of attention

[​IMG]

In the closing moments of the show I snagged a Winkler Combat Hawk to add to the Hawk collection for quite the deal

I've wanted one of Daniels hawks for awhile now and I couldn't pass this one up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was great to see everyone and I had a ball

STeven, David and Matt left on Saturday after the show and since my flight did not leave till this morning I spent the night with Gavin Hawk and Greg Lightfoot. We cruised around Vegas got some mexican food checked out The Pawn Stars location (kinda a dissapointment) Finished off of Fremont street watching all the freaks and Dee Snyder perform

All in all a great time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    The Hawks and Lightfoot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the zip lines

[​IMG]

3. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    If you didn't get to spot Olivia from Pawn Stars, then it WAS a disappointment. She's smokin'....

What's Fremont street? An indoor promenade mall?

Thanks for the report, Joe.

4. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Jim it is downtown Vegas not the strip

It is outside with a crazy canopy that runs the whole street and has all kind of videos and graphics floating around

5. D lisch

D lisch KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 27, 2007
    Thanks for the report Joe looks like a lot of fun and some good scores.

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    SKULLLLLLLZZZZZ!!!!!!:D So were you there with Matt or was this a sneak away for the weekend trip for you?

8. sheathmaker

sheathmaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    Glad you are home safe, my boy. I suppose you took good care of your half brother, STevie.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Yes I was there with Matt and the regular gang

10. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Got home around 4 Paul

There ain't no helping STeven :)

11. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Well, then just keep on enabling him. That is always entertaining. ;)

12. rio

rio Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Nice pics thanks for sharing.

13. David Sharp

David Sharp

May 23, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words Joe; it was a pleasure/honor to make this for you! Wish we could have spent more time hanging out (had 21st anniversary obligations to attend to).

I owe Mr. Long for his help on the requested sheath. I make a decent sheath but he helped me with a some weak areas. I took a the Loveless pattern Hideout sheath and modified it for horizontal carry (seemed easy, but not so much).

Dave's knife was insane; every one I see makes me a bigger fan!

14. Ellis

Ellis Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 16, 1998
    sounds great, missed you this year buddy!
    Dave

15. Berno

Berno

Dec 9, 2009
    Merci Joe, for the journey...

16. claudio-cas

claudio-cas

May 19, 2010
    Thanks for the pictures Joe.
    I tell you that here in Argentina we see all the chapters The Pawn Stars. The program here is called The Price of History.
    Coincidentally, this week, here in Argentina were filming some chapters.
    http://gspawn.com/pawn-stars-in-buenos-aries-argentina/

17. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Glad you had a great time and scored a couple of FINE items to take back home...... :cool:

18. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    You where missed by all :)

19. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Norbert, Claudio and Dudley would love if you guys could have been there

Thanks for the kind words :)

20. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Very Cool "Highout" Joe and thanks for sharing the experience.
    Bet you guys had a blast!