1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Ka-Bar folding

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by dslmac2, Jul 17, 2012.

1. dslmac2

dslmac2

Apr 8, 2012
    Suggestions on a good folding EDC that i could buy and give to my friend?? Maybe $50 or under?
    I have a friend that is an Ex-Marine who is and he loves Ka-Bar knifes but does not have that many due to his financial situation. I just looked at the Ka-Bar site and they have a MULE but i do not know about it. Any other suggestions?

>>Sorry if this is a repetitive question, sure that it is. But Thank You for your time!<<
    I too will continue to browse the forum for answers.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/974552-High-quality-folder-100-and-less

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    The KaBar Dozier series is smaller than the Mules, but they are great EDC folders that won't scare most people and will work very well. KaBar does a fine job with AUS8 steel. It gets extremely sharp pretty quickly. The F&F on the Dozier KaBars that I've handled has been excellent for a knife at that <$50 price point.

3. dslmac2

dslmac2

Apr 8, 2012
    How about any of these?

$10 - $30
    Ontario*RAT 1
    $40 - $60
    Spyderco Endura
    Spyderco Resilience
    Benchmade HK Conspiracy
    Kershaw Junkyard Dog II
    Ka-Bar Dozier Bobcat

4. dslmac2

dslmac2

Apr 8, 2012
    The Notch or Hunter Dozier?

5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    If you get a KaBar Mule, get one of the ones in AUS8 with FRN handles. Good strong knives. Runs about $45.
    (I don't recommend the ones with G10 handles and 3Cr13 blades that are available for about $25)

Another KaBar knife is the Large Dozier. Runs about $30 and has a 3 1/2" AUS8 blade. Recommended.

The regular KaBar Doziers may be smaller and lighter than what you are looking for. Good knives for the money, though. about $20.

6. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Don't forget the Phat Bob. That's a great little knife. Very very slicy, and comes with micarta scales.

7. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I had the Hunter and was impressed with how good a knife it was for $29.95. Tough, easy to carry, and easy to maintain.

8. dslmac2

dslmac2

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks so much everyone. I have just ordered the Ka-Bar Large Dozier for him to have, and even found a Pink Dozier for my wife. Great prices on what seems to be a good EDC knife. Thanks again.

9. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Excellent choice. I have a Kabar Dozier Large Folding Hunter, and for the price, it is very, very hard to beat.

10. dslmac2

dslmac2

Apr 8, 2012
    Got the two Ka-Bar knifes today, gave the Large Dozier to my friend and he loved it. Giving my wife the pink dozier later for her purse or car.
    I just ordered the Ka-Bar Dozier Phat Bob, for myself too today. Looked nice.